Variation of parameter VS Undetermined Coefficients

Davidian
TL;DR Summary: Variation of parameter VS Undetermined Coefficients

Hi all,

Suppose we want to solve the following ODE
2y''+y'-y=x+7
with two different methods: undetermined coefficients and variation of parameters.
The solutions to the homogeneous problem are given by y_1(x)=exp(-x) and y_2(x)=exp(x/2) and their Wronskian is (3/2)exp(-x/2).
Undetermined coefficients: by assuming the particular solution to be of the form Ax+B, we find y_p(x)=-x-8 so that the solution is given by
y(x)=c1exp(-x)+c2exp(x/2)-x-8

Variation of parameters: by applying the formula we have u1(x)=-(2/3)(x+6)exp(x) and u2(x)=-(2/3)(2x+18)exp(-x/2) so that if we write
y(x)=u1(x)y1(x)+u2(x)y2(x)=c1exp(-x) +c2exp(x/2) -2x-16
so there is a mismatch of a factor 2 in the particular solution.

Am I doing something silly?

Thanks,
Davide

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you checked which of your solutions actually satisfies the ODE?

That aside, if you don't show your working we can't find where or why you went wrong. I suspect, however, that to use variation of parameters you must rewrite the ODE as [tex]
y'' + \tfrac12y' - \tfrac12 y = \tfrac12(x + 7)[/tex] so that the coefficient of [itex]y'[/itex] is 1.

Last edited:
Hello @Davidian ,
:welcome: ##\qquad##!​

Davidian said:
TL;DR Summary: Variation of parameter VS Undetermined Coefficients

Hi all,

Suppose we want to solve the following ODE
$$2y''+y'-y=x+7$$
with two different methods: undetermined coefficients and variation of parameters.
Notice how the legibility improves by using a little ##\LaTeX## ?
The link is to the lower left of the editing window :smile:

The solutions to the homogeneous problem are given by ##y_1(x)=e^{-x} ## and ##y_2(x)=e^{x/2}## and their Wronskian is ##{3\over 2} e^{-x/2}##.

Undetermined coefficients: by assuming the particular solution to be of the form ##Ax+B##, we find ##y_p(x)=-x-8## so that the solution is given by $$y(x)=c_1\,e^{-x}+c_2\, e^{x/2}-x-8$$
Agree.

Variation of parameters: by applying the formula we have $$\begin{align*} u_1(x)&=-{\textstyle {2\over 3}}(x+6)\,e^{x}\qquad \sf \text{and} \\u_2(x)&=-{\textstyle {2\over 3}} (2x+18)\, e^{x/2}\end{align*}$$
I'm lost. What formula is that ? In my book (Stewart, Calculus, 5e) ##u_1## and ##u_2## have to satisfy$$u_1' y_1+ u_2' y_2 = 0 \quad{\sf\text{and}}\quad u_1'y_1' + u_2' y_2' ={\textstyle {1\over 2}}(x+7)$$but your ##u## don't satisfy the first one ...
(so I didn't bother to check the second :smile:)

##\ ##

Thanks for the reply: here are the calculations.
The characteristic polynomial is given by
$$
\lambda^2+\lambda-1=0,
$$
whose roots are ##\lambda=-1## and ##\lambda=-1/2##. The solution to the homogeneous problem is
$$
y(x)=c_1e^{-x}+c_2e^{x/2}.
$$
and the Wronskian is
$$
e^{-x}\frac{1}{2}e^{x/2} +e^{-x}e^{x/2}=\frac{3}{2}e^{-x/2}.
$$
Assuming the particular solution of the form
$$
y_p(x)=Ax+B,
$$
and inserting in the original problem gives
$$
A-Ax-B=x+7,
$$
which gives ##A=-1## and ##B=-8##. Combining these results gives
$$
y(x)=c_1e^{-x}+c_2e^{x/2}-x-8.
$$
I want to solve the same problem with the Variation of Parameters method. So I start by assuming ##\ y_1(x)=e^{-x}## and ##\ y_2(x)=e^{x/2}##, and thus the first coefficient is
$$
u_1(x)=-\int \frac{e^{x/2}(x+7)}{W(x)}dx=-\frac{2}{3}\int e^{x}(x+7)dx=-\frac{2}{3}(x+6)e^x+c_1
$$
while the second is
$$
u_2(x)=\int \frac{e^{-x}(x+7)}{W(x)}dx=-\frac{2}{3}\int e^{-x/2}(x+7)dx=-\frac{2}{3}(2x+18)e^{-x/2}+c_2
$$
Combining all pieces gives
$$
y(x)=\left(-\frac{2}{3}(x+6)e^x+c_1\right)e^{-x}+\left(-\frac{2}{3}(2x+18)e^{-x/2}+c_1\right)e^{x/2}
$$
which becomes
$$
-\frac{2}{3}x-4+c_1e^{x}-\frac{4}{3}x-12 +c_2e^{x/2}.
$$
Combining all terms gives
$$
y(x)=c_1e^{-x}+c_2e^{x/2}-2x-16
$$
so a mismatch of a factor two in the particular solution.

The solution obtained with the Undetermined Coefficients method satisfies the differential equation, while the solution obtained with the Variation of the Parameters method does not satisfy the differential equation. In fact it gives the rest ##(x+7)## which depends on the factor two that I found in the solution with the second method.

Davide

Last edited by a moderator:
BvU said:
Hello @Davidian ,
:welcome: ##\qquad##!​
Notice how the legibility improves by using a little ##\LaTeX## ?
The link is to the lower left of the editing window :smile:Agree.I'm lost. What formula is that ? In my book (Stewart, Calculus, 5e) ##u_1## and ##u_2## have to satisfy$$u_1' y_1+ u_2' y_2 = 0 \quad{\sf\text{and}}\quad u_1'y_1' + u_2' y_2' ={\textstyle {1\over 2}}(x+7)$$but your ##u## don't satisfy the first one ...
(so I didn't bother to check the second :smile:)

##\ ##
Thank you for your reply.

The formula is the generic one for the method
$$
u_1(x)=-\int\frac{y_2(x)g(x)dx}{W(x)}+c_1,
$$
while for
$$
u_2(x)=\int\frac{y_1(x)g(x)dx}{W(x)}+c_2,
$$
where ##\ g(x)## is the non homogeneous term. It is the same as the solution of the two conditions you posed, apart from the factor 1/2 in front of the second.

Thanks,
Davide

Last edited:
Good to see you speak ##\TeX## :smile:. But: enclose in double $ for displayed math and in double # for in-line math.
Tex tip: {\textstyle {1\over 2 }} (##{\textstyle {1\over 2 }}##) in displayed math looks better than {\displaystyle {1\over 2 }} (##{\displaystyle {1\over 2 }}##) .

Davidian said:
The characteristic polynomial is given by ##\lambda^2+\lambda-1=0,##
whose roots are ##\lambda=-1## and ##\lambda=-1/2##. The solution to the homogeneous problem is
$$
y(x)=c_1e^{-x}+c_2e^{x/2} $$and the Wronskian is
$$
e^{-x}\frac{1}{2}e^{x/2} +e^{-x}e^{x/2}=\frac{3}{2}e^{-x/2}.
$$
Assuming the particular solution of the form ##y_p(x)=Ax+B##, and inserting in the original problem gives ##
A-Ax-B=x+7##, which gives ##A=-1## and ##B=-8##. Combining these results gives
$$
y(x)=c_1e^{-x}+c_2e^{x/2}-x-8.
$$
And agreed.

I want to solve the same problem with the Variation of Parameters method. So I start by assuming ##y_1(x)=e^{-x}## and ##y_2(x)=e^{x/2}##, and thus the first coefficient is $$
u_1(x)=-\int \frac{e^{x/2}(x+7)}{W(x)}dx=-\frac{2}{3}\int e^{x/2}(x+7)dx=-\frac{2}{3}(x+6)e^x+c_1
$$while the second is$$
u_2(x)=\int \frac{e^{-x}(x+7)}{W(x)}dx=-\frac{2}{3}\int e^{-x/2}(x+7)dx=-\frac{2}{3}(2x+18)e^{-x/2}+c_2
$$Combining all pieces gives $$
y(x)=\left(-\frac{2}{3}(x+6)e^x+c_1\right)e^{-x}+\left(-\frac{2}{3}(2x+18)e^{-x/2}+c_1\right)e^{x/2}
$$which becomes$$
-\frac{2}{3}x-4+c_1e^{x}-\frac{4}{3}x-12 +c_2e^{x/2}.
$$Combining all terms gives$$
y(x)=c_1e^{-x}+c_2e^{x/2}-2x-16
$$so a mismatch of a factor two in the particular solution.

The solution obtained with the Undetermined Coefficients method satisfies the differential equation, while the solution obtained with the Variation of the Parameters method does not satisfy the differential equation. In fact it gives the rest ##(x+7)## which depends on the factor two that I found in the solution with the second method.
Well, there must be a bug in there somewhere, but I have to chew on it (rusty... :frown: )

##\ ##

I think I understood my mistake.
The solutions ##\ u_1(x)## and ##\ u_2(x)## can be obtained by using the formula I posted only if the coefficients of the second order term is equal to 1. In my example, I need to divide everything by a factor 2.

Thanks for your help!
Davide

Last edited:
Likes berkeman and BvU
Good thing you found it... would have taken me a while...

##\ ##

What is the difference between Variation of Parameter and Undetermined Coefficients methods?

Variation of parameter method is used to find a particular solution for non-homogeneous linear differential equations, while Undetermined Coefficients method is used to find a particular solution for specific types of non-homogeneous linear differential equations.

When should I use Variation of Parameter method?

You should use Variation of Parameter method when the non-homogeneous term in the differential equation is a linear combination of functions that are linearly independent solutions of the corresponding homogeneous equation.

When should I use Undetermined Coefficients method?

You should use Undetermined Coefficients method when the non-homogeneous term in the differential equation can be expressed as a sum of functions that are easy to integrate or differentiate.

Which method is more general: Variation of Parameter or Undetermined Coefficients?

Variation of Parameter method is more general as it can be applied to a wider range of non-homogeneous linear differential equations compared to Undetermined Coefficients method.

Are there any limitations to using Variation of Parameter or Undetermined Coefficients methods?

Both methods have their limitations. Variation of Parameter method can be more complex and time-consuming for certain types of differential equations, while Undetermined Coefficients method may not always work for all types of non-homogeneous terms in the differential equation.