Preparing a Physics Resume for REU Applications

In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of including relevant information on a resume for applying to REU programs. It is recommended to focus on skills related to research, such as computer skills and previous research experience, rather than leadership experience. Having research experience and a letter of recommendation from a professor can increase chances of being accepted into an REU program.
tourjete
I'm getting a head start on applying for REUs this weekend and am currently typing up my resume since one of the applications asks for one.

Should I put clubs I was in during high school on the resume? A lot of what I did in high school isn't relevant to physics at all (I was heavily involved in theatre and music during high school) so I understand leaving that off the resume. But I was also the vice-president of a club and would like to put that on my resume if its socially acceptable... I go to a university of 25,000 and don't really have anything that screams "leader" on my application otherwise.

Physics news on Phys.org
REU programs don't really care about leadership skills. They care about whether or not you'll be good at research. They want to see things like computer skills (programming, multiple operating systems, MATLAB, Mathematica, etc), good grades in your classes, and hopefully that you've done some research at your own school already.

eri said:
REU programs don't really care about leadership skills. They care about whether or not you'll be good at research. They want to see things like computer skills (programming, multiple operating systems, MATLAB, Mathematica, etc), good grades in your classes, and hopefully that you've done some research at your own school already.

Thanks! I guess I'll leave off the leadership experience. I am currently doing research at my school, so I guess that gives me a better chance?

Having some research experience definitely helps - play that up in your application, and ask that professor for a letter of recommendation.

I would recommend including only relevant experiences and achievements on your physics resume for REU applications. While being the vice-president of a club in high school may demonstrate leadership skills, it may not be directly applicable to physics. Instead, focus on highlighting experiences and skills that are specific to the field of physics, such as research projects, relevant coursework, and any relevant internships or work experience. Additionally, you can mention any extracurricular activities or clubs that are related to physics or STEM in general. This will help showcase your passion and dedication to the field. However, if you have space on your resume and feel that being the vice-president of the club is an important aspect of your overall leadership experience, you can mention it briefly. Ultimately, the most important aspect of your application will be your academic background and research experience, so make sure to prioritize those on your resume.

1. What should be included in a physics resume for REU applications?

The main sections of a physics resume for REU applications should include your personal information, education, relevant coursework, research experience, technical skills, publications or presentations, awards or honors, and references. Make sure to also tailor your resume to the specific program you're applying for by highlighting relevant experiences and skills.

2. How should I format my physics resume for REU applications?

Your physics resume for REU applications should be well-organized and easy to read. Use a clean and professional font, and stick to a standard resume format such as reverse chronological order. Use bullet points and concise sentences to highlight your experiences and skills. Also, be sure to proofread for any spelling or grammar errors.

3. Is it necessary to include non-physics experiences on my resume?

It is not necessary to include non-physics experiences on your resume, but it can be beneficial to include any relevant experiences or skills that demonstrate your abilities and interests. For example, if you have experience in coding or programming, this can be a valuable skill for physics research.

4. How important is it to have research experience on my physics resume for REU applications?

Research experience is highly valued in REU applications, as it demonstrates your ability to conduct independent research and your interest in the field. If you do not have any previous research experience, try to gain some through internships or volunteering opportunities before applying.

5. How should I list my technical skills on my physics resume for REU applications?

List your technical skills in a separate section on your resume and be specific about the skills you possess. This can include programming languages, software, laboratory techniques, and equipment operation. You can also provide examples of projects or experiences where you have used these skills to showcase your proficiency.