Complex Analysis - Contour integral

In summary: This is equal to [-0.584+0.584i\log(e^{i\pi/4})+0.8i\log(e^{i\pi/4})]_{e^{i\pi/4}=1} ^{e^{i\pi/4}} and the real part is then[-0.584+0.584i\log(e^{
EC92

Homework Statement

I have the following problem:
Compute
[itex] \operatorname{Re} \int _\gamma \frac{\sqrt{z}}{z+1} dz, [/itex]
where [itex] \gamma [/itex] is the quarter-circle [itex] \{ z: |z|=1, \operatorname{Re}z \geq 0 , \operatorname{Im} z \geq 0 \} [/itex] oriented from 1 to [itex]i[/itex], and [itex] \sqrt{z} [/itex] denotes the principal branch.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been trying to solve this using the complex analog of the 2nd Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. Substituting [itex] u = \sqrt{z} [/itex] and using partial fractions, I get
[itex] \int_\delta 2 - \frac{i}{u+i} + \frac{i}{u-i} du [/itex]
where delta is the eighth-circle from 1 to [itex] e^{i\pi /4} [/itex]
This is equal to
[itex] [2u - i \log(u+i) + i\log (u-i)]_{u=1} ^{u=e^{i\pi/4}} [/itex],

and the real part is then

[itex] [\operatorname{Re} u + \operatorname{Arg}(u+i) -\operatorname{Arg}(u-i)]_{u=1} ^{u = e^{i \pi /4}} [/itex]

However, the arguments at [itex] u=e^{i\pi /4} [/itex] do not come out to nice forms. I am wondering if my approach is even correct, and if there's a better way to solve problems of this type.
Thanks.

[Mathematica says the value is approximately -0.584].

Physics news on Phys.org
Combine the logs:
$$-i \log (u+i) + i\log(u-i) = i\log\frac{u-i}{u+i}$$ For ##u=e^{i\pi/4}##, you should be able to show that ##\frac{u-i}{u+i} = -i \tan \pi/8##.

EC92 said:
I am wondering if my approach is even correct, and if there's a better way to solve problems of this type.

Yes. You can approach it entirely in terms of an analytically-continuous antiderivative. But I realize that analytically-continuous thing is what, not easy to understand? First, what is any-old antiderivative? That's easy right:

[tex]
\begin{align}
\int_1^i \frac{\sqrt{z}}{z+1}dz&=\int_1^{\sqrt{i}} \frac{2u^2}{u^2+1}du\\
&=2(u-\arctan(u)\biggr|_1^{\sqrt{i}}
\end{align}
[/tex]

Ok then, as long as you evaluate that antiderivative along an analytically-continuous path from 1 to [itex]e^{\pi i/4}[/itex] then you can simply evaluate the antiderivative at it's end-points. But the multi-valued function [itex]\arctan(z)[/itex] has branch-points at [itex]\pm i[/itex] so my path from 1 to [itex]\sqrt{i}[/itex] doesn't pass near these points or go around them, so I can use the prinicpal-valued branch of arctan(z) and simply write:

[tex]\int_{1}^{i}\frac{\sqrt{z}}{z+1}=2\left[(\sqrt{i}-\arctan(\sqrt{i}))-(1-\arctan(1))\right][/tex]

1. What is a contour integral?

A contour integral, also known as a line integral, is a mathematical tool used in complex analysis to calculate the total change of a function along a given path or curve in the complex plane. It is represented by the notation ∫C f(z) dz, where C is the contour or path and f(z) is the function being integrated.

2. How is a contour integral different from a regular integral?

A contour integral is different from a regular integral in two main ways. Firstly, it is calculated along a specific path or curve, rather than over a range of values. Secondly, it is performed in the complex plane, where the function being integrated can have both real and imaginary components. In contrast, a regular integral is typically performed in the real plane.

3. What is the significance of the Cauchy-Goursat theorem in contour integration?

The Cauchy-Goursat theorem is a fundamental theorem in complex analysis that states that if a function is analytic (i.e. differentiable at every point) within a closed contour, then the contour integral of that function will be equal to zero. This theorem is important in contour integration as it allows for the simplification and evaluation of many complex integrals.

4. Can a contour integral be used to calculate the area enclosed by a curve?

No, a contour integral cannot be used to calculate the area enclosed by a curve. This is because the contour integral only takes into account the changes in a function along a path, not the area under the curve. To calculate the area enclosed by a curve, a different mathematical tool called a contour integral must be used.

5. What are some real-world applications of contour integration?

Contour integration has many real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. Some examples include using contour integrals to calculate electric fields in electromagnetism, fluid flow in engineering, and evaluating complex integrals in economics and finance.