Calculating the Lattice Mismatch of GaN/Sapphire

• Thread starter maxxlr8
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lattice
In summary: Some reports said that they used sapphire (1-102) for their substrates. Now I am not sure if this is an r- or R-sapphire.
maxxlr8
Dear Physics Forum

It has been reported that the lattice mismatch of GaN/Sapphire is ~13.9%.

I have tried the following formula, but got the wrong answer:

[(GaN-Al2O3)/GaN] x 100%

where:
GaN = 3.189 Angstroms
Al2O3 = 4.765 Angstroms

Obviously I am missing something huge.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
In crystal growth things depend strongly on things like crystal orientation, which surface you choose, crystal growth direction, in-plane orientation and such stuff. So you need to know which planes you are talking about. 13.8% is what you get if you use the (10-10) and (11-20) planes of GaN and sapphire.

See: http://www.icdd.com/resources/axa/vol43/v43_047.pdf

Likes 1 person
Just to add to what was said above: Sappbhire is extremely anisotropic meaning there are many ways you can cut it to make a substrate.
The most common type of substrate used is R-cut; which is actually cut at an "angle" with respect to the "z-axis"(note that you actually need four indices to define a plane in sapphire). You can also buy for example c-cut and r-cut (note that R and r are different cuts)

Note that this "flexibility" is one reason why sapphire is so popular, you can make it "fit" to a large number of other materials by just using the right cut.

Cthugha said:
In crystal growth things depend strongly on things like crystal orientation, which surface you choose, crystal growth direction, in-plane orientation and such stuff. So you need to know which planes you are talking about. 13.8% is what you get if you use the (10-10) and (11-20) planes of GaN and sapphire.

See: http://www.icdd.com/resources/axa/vol43/v43_047.pdf

Thank you for pointing out that they have calculated this by using the GaN(10-10) and Al2O3(11-20)

I have calculated this using the same formula and have arrived at a value of 14%, which should be tolerable since my database and C. J. Rawn's would exhibit different degree of strain.

The interplanar spacing for GaN(10-10) and Al2O3(11-20) is 2.762 angstroms and 2.375 angstroms, respectively.

So, one can't just choose to use the length of a unit cell to calculate the lattice mismatch. The plane relationship must be determined first.

Thank you again.

Anyway, below is an image of how (I think) the hexagonal cells are arranged.

ps: most papers also report that the GaN has no problem aligning its c-axis along with the substrate's, but the a-axis (and therefore, b-axis) will usually twist 60 degree with respect to the substrate.

asdfasdf.png

Last edited:
f95toli said:
Just to add to what was said above: Sappbhire is extremely anisotropic meaning there are many ways you can cut it to make a substrate.
The most common type of substrate used is R-cut; which is actually cut at an "angle" with respect to the "z-axis"(note that you actually need four indices to define a plane in sapphire). You can also buy for example c-cut and r-cut (note that R and r are different cuts)

Note that this "flexibility" is one reason why sapphire is so popular, you can make it "fit" to a large number of other materials by just using the right cut.

Thank you for the information.

I did not realize that r-cut and R-cut are prepared with a different plane face.

Some reports said that they used sapphire (1-102) for their substrates. Now I am not sure if this is an r- or R-sapphire.

1. What is the lattice mismatch between GaN and Sapphire?

The lattice mismatch between GaN and Sapphire is approximately 17%, meaning that the lattice parameters of the two materials differ by 17%.

2. Why is it important to calculate the lattice mismatch of GaN/Sapphire?

Calculating the lattice mismatch is important because it affects the quality and performance of the resulting GaN/Sapphire heterostructure. A large mismatch can lead to defects and strain, reducing the efficiency and reliability of the device.

3. How is the lattice mismatch of GaN/Sapphire calculated?

The lattice mismatch is calculated by taking the difference between the lattice parameters of GaN and Sapphire and dividing it by the lattice parameter of Sapphire. This value is then multiplied by 100 to get a percentage.

4. What factors can affect the lattice mismatch of GaN/Sapphire?

The lattice mismatch can be affected by the growth conditions of the materials, such as temperature and pressure, as well as any impurities or defects present in the crystal structure. It can also be influenced by the thickness and orientation of the layers.

5. How can the lattice mismatch of GaN/Sapphire be minimized?

The lattice mismatch can be minimized by carefully controlling the growth conditions of the materials and selecting an appropriate substrate with a similar lattice parameter to GaN. Techniques such as epitaxial growth and strain compensation can also be used to reduce the mismatch.