Rotational motion of pulleys influenced by gravity. Not sure how to set up.

In summary, the conversation discusses how to set up a problem involving the conversion of potential energy to kinetic energy and the finding of angular speed. The energy method and kinematics are both suggested as possible approaches, with the energy method being a quicker and easier option. The use of Lagrange's equations of motion is also mentioned as a more advanced method to find the necessary accelerations and variables.
shanest
I've attached the problem as a .jpg file. The mass obviously has potential energy. Is this simply converted to the kinetic energy of the mass plus the two kinetic energies of the pulleys? I also don't see how I would find the angular speed (probably don't even need to) of the pulleys. Cant simply due the gravity acceleration over the distance on the hanging mass since it has the tensions from the ropes. How do I set this problem up? Many thanks!

Attachments

• hw24.JPG
    hw24.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 384
Physics news on Phys.org
shanest said:
The mass obviously has potential energy. Is this simply converted to the kinetic energy of the mass plus the two kinetic energies of the pulleys? How do I set this problem up?

Yes, your statement about the energy is correct, so you answered your own question about how to set the problem up.

shanest said:
I also don't see how I would find the angular speed (probably don't even need to) of the pulleys.

You are given the radius and inertia of the pulleys. Because there is no slipping, the rope and pulley speeds are related by v = omega.r

You can also do this kinematically, where you can get the car's acceleration. Start by considering each body seperatly consider the forces on it. What forces are acting on the car? For the drum and the pulley, write down the "equation of motion" for both of them, that is, use the angular momentum theorem.
What is the relation between the angular acceleration of the pulley and the drum? And what is the connection between the acceleration of the car and the rotation? Is the tension force throughout the rope the same?
When you can get this done, you should get a certain number of equations with the same number of unknowns, that you should easily be able to solve.

P3X-018 said:
You can also do this kinematically, where you can get the car's acceleration ... you should get a certain number of equations with the same number of unknowns, that you should easily be able to solve.

Yes you can do it that way.

The energy method gives you one equation, which you can solve for the one thing you are asked to find. That's got to be quicker and easier than setting up several equations involving new variables like tensions and accelerations, and then solving them all.

BTW if you learn about Lagrange's equations of motion in an advanced dynamics course, you will find you can also get the accelerations etc direct from the KE and PE of the system, without setting up all the other equations and solving them.

1. How does gravity affect the rotational motion of pulleys?

Gravity plays a crucial role in the rotational motion of pulleys. As an object is suspended from a pulley, it experiences the force of gravity which causes it to accelerate towards the ground. This acceleration creates a torque on the pulley, causing it to rotate.

2. What is the relationship between the mass of the object and the rotational motion of the pulley?

The mass of the object suspended from the pulley affects the amount of torque and thus the rotational motion of the pulley. As the mass increases, the torque also increases, resulting in a faster rotational motion of the pulley.

3. Can the direction of the rotation of the pulley be influenced by gravity?

Yes, the direction of the rotation of the pulley can be influenced by gravity. If the object suspended from the pulley is heavier on one side, it will cause an imbalance in torque, resulting in a rotational motion in that direction.

4. How can the setup of a pulley system affect its rotational motion influenced by gravity?

The setup of a pulley system can greatly affect the rotational motion influenced by gravity. A pulley system with multiple pulleys can distribute the weight of the object, reducing the torque and resulting in a slower rotational motion. Additionally, the friction between the pulley and its axle can also affect the rotational motion.

5. Is there a mathematical equation to calculate the rotational motion of pulleys influenced by gravity?

Yes, there is an equation that can be used to calculate the rotational motion of pulleys influenced by gravity. It is: ω = (2π√(mgh))/(mR^2), where ω is the angular velocity, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, h is the height of the object, and R is the radius of the pulley.