What are the potential uses for virtual reality technology beyond video games?

In summary, Johnny Chung Lee created a program that allows users to control a virtual reality scene using a Wiimote and some embedded cameras. He also created a program that allows users to visualize data acquired by a computer in real-time.
Huckleberry
With some additional software and hardware modifications, this guy creates a virtual reality display using his Wii.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw&NR=1

Okay, so when are the new VR shooters cooming out? I'm tired of trying to peek around corners in vain.

The technology for this isn't exactly new, but I haven't seen any mainstream use of it. I think it would be ideal for a PC, where one user operates it. The applications for virtual reality could be useful for more than just video games. I would imagine this could be useful for any application where a visual representation is necessary, such as for viewing or creating any kind of schematics or touring real estate properties. The screen we are used to seeing flat images displayed on could be more like an empty window which we look through into another programmable reality.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Thats pretty cool. Its amazing how it suddenly changes from being 2D to 3D with some simple movements.

Actually, he didn't really use the Wii... just the Wiimote, a PC with Bluetooth, and some IR LEDs. I don't have a Wii... but I did just buy a Wiimote and am awaiting my order of IR LEDs.

Yes. I would like to watch a movie like that.

Why do I get the feeling we may see something like that in the next generation or two of consoles?

NeoDevin said:
Why do I get the feeling we may see something like that in the next generation or two of consoles?

We can only hope! Looks pretty easy to setup, wonder why Nintendo didn't do this in the first place.

Thats fantastic!

NeoDevin said:

I think it could easily be implemented on the current generation of consoles.

robphy said:
Actually, he didn't really use the Wii... just the Wiimote, a PC with Bluetooth, and some IR LEDs. I don't have a Wii... but I did just buy a Wiimote and am awaiting my order of IR LEDs.
Can I ask what application you are intending to use this for? I'm not very familiar with programming. Wouldn't the software for each application have to be specifically programmed for VR? As Kurdt said, it could be easily implemented on current consoles, but without any games that use it is there any reason to make the modifications yourself?

Cyrus said:
Thats fantastic!
That's exactly what I thought when I saw it. Considering the number of hits for that video I'm surprised I haven't heard about this before.

edit- I thought I put this in GD. Just out of curiousity, was it moved?

Last edited:
Huckleberry said:
Can I ask what application you are intending to use this for? I'm not very familiar with programming. Wouldn't the software for each application have to be specifically programmed for VR? As Kurdt said, it could be easily implemented on current consoles, but without any games that use it is there any reason to make the modifications yourself?

I am going to try to control a VPython scene in various ways with a Wiimote
... using the embedded IR-camera (or maybe a pair of cameras with two Wiimotes)
... using the accelerometers
On a broader scale, I am trying to visualize in real-time data acquired with a computer.

I stumbled upon Johnny Chung Lee's page some time last month. Pretty fun stuff, I must agree. I whipped up my own Python + win32 package. It will end up on my homepage sooner or later.

1. What is virtual reality (VR) in video games?

Virtual reality in video games refers to the use of computer technology to create a simulated environment that allows players to interact with and experience a virtual world as if it were real. This is typically achieved through the use of specialized headsets and controllers that track the player's movements and provide a sense of presence within the game.

2. How do virtual reality video games work?

Virtual reality video games work by creating a computer-generated 3D environment that is designed to simulate real-world experiences. Players wear a VR headset that tracks their head and eye movements, and often use handheld controllers to interact with the virtual environment. The computer then renders the game in real-time and adjusts the visuals and audio in response to the player's movements and actions.

3. What are the benefits of playing virtual reality video games?

Playing virtual reality video games can have several benefits, such as improving hand-eye coordination, spatial awareness, and reaction time. It also allows players to experience and interact with new and immersive environments, which can be beneficial for educational or therapeutic purposes. Additionally, VR games can provide an intense and engaging gaming experience that can enhance the overall entertainment value.

4. Are there any potential risks or side effects of playing virtual reality video games?

While virtual reality video games can offer many benefits, there are some potential risks and side effects to be aware of. These may include motion sickness, eye strain, and disorientation. It is essential to take breaks and limit the amount of time spent playing VR games to avoid these issues. It is also crucial to use VR equipment correctly and follow safety guidelines to prevent injuries.

5. How is virtual reality technology evolving in the gaming industry?

Virtual reality technology is continually evolving in the gaming industry, with new and improved headsets, controllers, and games being released regularly. Companies are also exploring ways to make VR more accessible and affordable for a wider audience. Additionally, advancements in technology, such as haptic feedback and full-body tracking, are being incorporated into VR games to enhance the immersive experience even further.