The two most significant people in my life - 25 years later

In summary, the two men who had the most significant bearing on Rhody's life are now successful in different ways. One is a successful business administrator while the other is a drug dealer. Rhody is sad to say goodbye to them but is hopeful that they will stay in his thoughts.
Newai
It's been a long time from my childhood. I'm almost 40, so I thought I'd try to find some people from my past. In particular, two guys who had the most significance and bearing on who I would become.

The first was a guy who was a friend of mine for a few years before we simply stopped hanging out. One morning, and I've never understood what in the world this was about, he spontaneously attacked me. Without provocation, he strangled me, pushed me into a desk, and struck me. After I was released from the hospital and returned to school the next day, for weeks he harassed me, threatened me, and made lies. Though the assault wasn't immediately serious, my life changed forever and I've suffered every day of my life.

Today, he is a successful business administrator enjoying a good life with his family. His profession supports disabled children.

The other guy was my best friend. We did everything together and were nearly brothers. He was one of the very few people who had anything to do with me in spite of my position in the social ladder. He was fairly popular.

Today, he is pursuing a career in drug dealing. And by the looks of one of his latest mug shots, is probably a user as well.

I've never been so unsettled, concerned, angry, and dismayed. I feel like my life has changed with these revelations. But they have their paths, I have mine. I struggle, too, with what I have to deal with. But I am headed in the right direction. I'm moving away in a few days, but I don't believe I'll have any opportunities to check back in. So for what it's been here in my short time, best of luck to all of you!

Physics news on Phys.org
You're not going to ever have internet access?

I am sad to hear that you will be leaving for what ever the reason. I wish you good luck and hope that you will return.

I wish you the best of luck in whatever you will pursue. Do try to check us out some time. :smile:

Newai,

Never say never my friend, somehow, someway, I have always found ways to improvise, adapt and overcome obstacles. You have to believe it, and in yourself too. You will find a way to connect with those who can support you, I am sure of that, you should be too. I can't count the number of times when I have thought about something important really hard, and low and behold, hours, days, or weeks later, the situation would resolve itself and I would get what I really needed out of it. Be patient, and more important believe...

Rhody... o:)

I am interested in the impact that individuals have on our lives and how their actions can shape who we become. In this case, it is clear that these two individuals had a significant influence on your life, even 25 years later. The first individual's spontaneous attack on you had a lasting impact, leading to physical and emotional suffering that you continue to deal with. It is unfortunate that he has seemingly moved on with his life while you continue to struggle with the aftermath of his actions. On the other hand, your best friend's path towards drug dealing is also concerning, as it shows the potential consequences of negative influences and the choices we make. It is clear that these individuals have chosen different paths, but it is important to recognize that we all have our own journeys and it is up to us to make the best choices for ourselves. I wish you the best as you continue on your own path and hope that you find peace and success in your future endeavors.

1. Who were the two most significant people in your life 25 years ago?

The two most significant people in my life 25 years ago were my parents. They have always been a constant source of love, support, and guidance in my life.

2. How have these two people impacted your life?

The impact of my parents in my life is immeasurable. They have shaped my values, beliefs, and character through their words, actions, and unconditional love. They have also provided me with opportunities and resources to pursue my dreams and achieve my goals.

3. Have your relationships with these two people changed over the years?

As with any relationship, my relationships with my parents have evolved over the years. As I have grown and matured, our dynamic has shifted from a parent-child relationship to a more equal and supportive one. However, their love and support for me have remained constant.

4. How have these two people influenced your career as a scientist?

My parents have always encouraged my curiosity and passion for learning, which laid the foundation for my interest in science. They also instilled in me the value of hard work and perseverance, which have been crucial in my pursuit of a career in science.

5. What lessons have you learned from these two people that you still carry with you today?

My parents have taught me many valuable lessons that I still carry with me today. Some of the most important ones include the importance of kindness, empathy, and resilience. They have also taught me to never give up on my dreams and to always be true to myself.