What Innovations Are You Thankful For . .?

• Thread starter kyphysics
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the various luxuries and innovations of modern life compared to the past, such as email, air conditioning, and food items like Coca-Cola and Five Guys burgers. The participants express gratitude for these advancements and acknowledge the improvements they have brought to daily life. The conversation also delves into the topic of refrigerators, with one person sharing their positive experience with a new model and another discussing potential future modifications. The conversation ends with a mention of the importance of the transistor and the impact it has had on society, as well as a humorous comment about mixing HP Sauce and ice cream.
Keith_McClary said:
Modern agriculture is a system to convert fossil fuels into food.
Dune: Hydraulic despotism.

Physics news on Phys.org
cybernetichero said:
We are using the greatest information retrieval system in the history of mankind to discuss which modern invention we are most grateful for. Just thought I would point that out.

I just had a mobile device related "lost time" episode and had a mental image of a Salvation Army band and the placards read, "Resist the Demon Browser".

256bits said:
House of Parliament sauce is not even made in England anymore
Mine says "product of USA".

• Haha
Likes 256bits and scottdave
kyphysics said:
I was just sitting back today thinking of how we live compared with people just 100-200 years ago (or, even people living today in less modernized parts of the world). I often complain of not having this or that and the nuisance of getting spam and fake emails. And, yet, something as simple as email (and a computer with word processing) is a truly remarkable luxury that people just 50 years ago did not have. Mail had to be sent by postal delivery. Word processing was done on cumbersome typewriters.

Air conditioning...indoor plumbing...refrigeration...hell, even electricity...are all quite amazing when compared to their absence just a few decades or hundred years ago.

I am thankful for the labor, creativity, and drive to innovate that so many people of the past had that have made my life so much better. . .Life is not perfect - yes, spam and fake emails annoy me - but I am so much more glad to have to deal with the troubles that innovations bring than to live life without them.

OMG, even Coca-Cola...Five Guys burgers...Lays potato chips...I am so thankful for these food innovations too! It would be torture to imagine not having access to my favorite foods ever again!
Communication is, by far, the greatest innovation ever. It is the basis for everything we know today. Without it, all other innovations are impossible. Without it, our perception of reality is not even possible. Gauge bosons communicate the fundamental forces and electrochemical reactions allow your neurons to communicate. The corpus callosum allows high bandwidth communications which results in hemispheric amalgamation to occur giving you a single consciousness. Langauge is the next step after the corpus callosum which allows two minds to begin the formation of a single "master mind." The internet is the most recent iteration in this innovation's evolution, and it is on the cusp of another great revolution as soon as mankind figures out how to organize it the same way our brains are organized.

Likes fresh_42