Water + Water Vapor - Can I use ideal gas law?

In summary, the conversation discusses a sealed container used to heat 200 kg of water. The container has a pressure safety valve and the remaining volume is filled with water vapor. The questions posed are: a) at what pressure should the safety valve open if the maximum allowed water temperature is 150 degrees C, and b) how much energy is needed to increase the water temperature from 25 degrees C to 150 degrees C? The ideal gas law cannot be used due to the non-linear relationship between pressure and temperature for water vapor. Instead, a Pressure vs. Temperature curve for the phase transition of liquid-gas must be used. The water remains in a saturated state and does not become a gas.
bphysics

Homework Statement

Sealed container which is used to heat 200 kg water is initially at 25 degrees C. Since the container is sealed, the water remains in saturated state while its temperature and pressure increases. The remaining volume of the container is filled with water vapor at the same temperature and pressure. There is a pressure safety valve on the container.

a) If the max allowed water temperature is 150 degrees C, at what pressure should the safety value open?
b) How much energy is needed to increase temperature of water from 25 degrees C to 150 degrees C? You can neglect mass of water vapor and assume closed system containing only 200 kg of water.

Homework Equations

PV = mRT where m = R/M (M = molar mass).

The Attempt at a Solution

I cannot find a definitive source which will confirm that I can use the ideal gas law on this problem. In addition, water vapor and water have different specific heats at a constant pressure and I must account for the total pressure within the system.

Do I need to split the system into two separate parts and calculate the pressure in each individual part as the temperature is raised? This doesn't seem logical to me -- the pressure valve needs to be set based on what the total pressure of the system will be...

Any advice? Just not sure how to attack this guy.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, there is a Pressure vs. Temperature curve for the phase transition liquid - gas. This is the relation you need.

Dickfore said:
No, there is a Pressure vs. Temperature curve for the phase transition liquid - gas. This is the relation you need.

The problem note that the water remains in a saturated state. I would assume this indicates it does not become a gas, is this correct?

Saturated vapor is vapor in equilibrium with the liquid phase underneath it. It has the same pressure and temperature.

Is it possible for the ideal gas law to be used in any way for this problem? I am simply surprised, because the core of the chapter which contains this problem discusses the ideal gas law and the book's tables provide Cp and Cv for both saturated water/steam in both liquid and vapor forms.

My own notes mention that the professor noted that water vapor is NOT an ideal gas, so I guess the book does not have a solid explanation of how to solve this problem.

1. What is the ideal gas law and how does it relate to water and water vapor?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of a gas. It can be used to calculate the properties of gases, including water vapor, under ideal conditions.

2. Can the ideal gas law be applied to water and water vapor?

Yes, the ideal gas law can be applied to water and water vapor under certain conditions. However, water is not an ideal gas and may deviate from the ideal gas law at high pressures or low temperatures.

3. What are the units used in the ideal gas law?

The units used in the ideal gas law depend on the values given for pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles. Pressure is typically measured in atmospheres (atm), volume in liters (L), temperature in Kelvin (K), and number of moles in moles (mol).

4. How accurate is the ideal gas law when applied to water and water vapor?

The accuracy of the ideal gas law when applied to water and water vapor depends on the conditions being studied. Under ideal conditions, the ideal gas law can provide accurate results, but at extreme pressures or temperatures, the results may deviate from actual values.

5. Can the ideal gas law be used to determine the properties of water and water vapor in real-world situations?

The ideal gas law can be used to estimate the properties of water and water vapor in real-world situations, but it may not provide exact values. Other factors such as intermolecular forces and non-ideal behavior may affect the properties of water and water vapor in real-world situations.