How can Mathematica be used to plot graphs of complex valued functions?

In summary, the function z/(1-z)^2 maps the unit disk |z|<1 onto the entire plane except a line segment from (-infinity to -1/4) . You can show this using the parametric plot version shown above.
raghavendar24
hi ,

i am unable to draw the graphs of complex valued functions using mathematica,

please help me .

Ex:koebe function. z/(1-z)^2, z is a complex number

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you want to display the function? One common approach is to use ContourPlot and plot the Abs as the contours and use Arg for the colors.

Hi, thnx for reply, please say how to plot in two ways so that i can use which is is required for me, and other one i may use whenever i needed.

Thank you.

ParametricPlot[
Through[{Re, Im}[(x + I y)/(1 - (x + I y))^2]], {x, 0, 2}, {y, -1,
1}, PlotRange -> {-1, 1}]

Plot3D[Abs[(x + I y)/(1 - (x + I y))^2], {x, 0, 2}, {y, -1, 1},
ColorFunction ->
Function[{x, y},
Hue[Arg[(x + I y)/(1 - (x + I y))^2]/(2 \[Pi]) + .5]],
ColorFunctionScaling -> False]

Thank you so much.

Can you suggest me any book which is useful to plot this type of functions using mathematica

Hi one more doubt regarding the above problem,

The function z/(1-z)^2 maps the unit disk |z|<1 onto the entire plane except a line segment

from (-infinity to -1/4) , how can we show that using the above function plot using mathematica.

Thanking you

raghavendar24 said:
Can you suggest me any book which is useful to plot this type of functions using mathematica
I have found the online help (F1) to be quite thorough.

raghavendar24 said:
Hi one more doubt regarding the above problem,

The function z/(1-z)^2 maps the unit disk |z|<1 onto the entire plane except a line segment

from (-infinity to -1/4) , how can we show that using the above function plot using mathematica.
Use the parametric plot version shown above, but map the complex plane using r Exp[-I theta] instead of x + I y

I already work out at that time i have some doubt whether it is right or not, thank you now i conformed but here is a problem i m unable to interpret from the figure it mapping the unit disk

that is |z|<1 (in polar form we are using r Exp(I*theta)

r varies from 0 to 1

and theta varies from 0 to 2 pi )

to the entire XY plane except a line segment

Attachments

• Untitled-1.pdf
    137.2 KB · Views: 279
Yes, that looks correct.

What is Mathematica?

Mathematica is a powerful software program used for mathematical and scientific calculations, data analysis, and visualization. It is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance.

How do I plot a graph using Mathematica?

To plot a graph using Mathematica, you will first need to enter the data points or functions you want to plot. Then, use the built-in Plot function to generate the graph. You can customize the appearance of the graph by specifying options such as the plot style and axis labels.

What types of graphs can I create with Mathematica?

Mathematica offers a wide range of graph types, including line graphs, scatter plots, histograms, bar charts, and more. It also allows for 3D and interactive graphs.

Can I export my graphs from Mathematica?

Yes, you can export your graphs from Mathematica in various formats such as PDF, PNG, and JPEG. You can also copy and paste the graph into other programs or presentations.

Is Mathematica difficult to learn?

While Mathematica may seem intimidating at first, it has a user-friendly interface and offers helpful tutorials and documentation. With practice, you can quickly learn how to use its features, including how to plot graphs.