Mathematica Graph Plotting for Scientific Papers

In summary, when using mathematica to plot graphs for scientific papers, it is important to ensure that the plot is readable and informative. This can be achieved by using options such as Frame, FrameLabel, and adjusting the font size.
Luke Tan
TL;DR Summary
What plot options do you guys use?
Hey guys, so recently I've been trying to use mathematica to plot graphs for my scientific papers, and I've been starting to wonder - what plot options do you guys use?

How do you plot your graphs in mathematica such that they look presentable in a scientific paper?

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends a lot on the kind of plot. The important things are that the plot most be readable and informative.

DrClaude said:
It depends a lot on the kind of plot. The important things are that the plot most be readable and informative.
What options do you use to make a simple line plot look good?

I use Frame and FrameLabel, for labeling my axes rather than AxesLabel. I also find that the font size is usually too small by default so I typically increase that.

1. What is Mathematica Graph Plotting and why is it useful for scientific papers?

Mathematica Graph Plotting is a feature of the Mathematica software that allows scientists to create and customize high-quality graphs and plots for their research papers. It is useful because it offers a wide range of tools and options for data visualization, making it easier to communicate complex data and results to readers.

2. How do I create a graph using Mathematica?

To create a graph in Mathematica, you can use the built-in function "Plot" or "ListPlot" depending on the type of data you have. You can also use the "Graphics" function to manually create a graph by specifying the coordinates of each data point. Additionally, there are several other options for creating specialized graphs such as histograms, scatter plots, and 3D plots.

3. Can I customize the appearance of my graphs in Mathematica?

Yes, Mathematica offers a wide range of options for customizing the appearance of graphs, including changing colors, labels, fonts, and styles. You can also add additional elements such as legends, axes, and annotations to make your graphs more informative and visually appealing.

4. How can I export my graphs from Mathematica for use in my scientific paper?

Mathematica allows you to easily export your graphs in various formats such as PDF, PNG, or EPS, which can then be inserted into your scientific paper. You can also adjust the resolution and size of the exported image to fit your paper's requirements.

5. Is it possible to include interactive elements in my graphs with Mathematica?

Yes, Mathematica supports the creation of interactive graphs using the Manipulate function. This allows you to add sliders, buttons, and other controls to your graphs so that readers can explore different aspects of the data on their own. This can be especially useful for presentations or online publications.