Solving Symmetry & Graph Sketching for Curve x=t^2+3, y=t(t^2+3)

In summary, the given parametric equations x=t^2+3, y=t(t^2+3) represent a curve that is symmetric about the x-axis and has no parts where x<3. The value of dy/dx in terms of t is greater or equal to 9. This information can be used to sketch the curve, but it is unclear how to determine whether the graph should be the one with the black line or the red line. Further clarification is needed.
Harmony
A curve is given by the parametric equations x=t^2+3, y=t(t^2+3)
a)Show that the curve is symmetric about the x-axis.
b)Show that there are no parts of this curve where x<3
c)Find dy/dx in terms of t, and show that (dy/dx)^2 greater or equals to 9.

Sketch the curve by using the above results.

I have no problem in a b and c, but I am a bit confuse ith graph sketching. What is the use of result c on the graph sketching? The answer given is the curve with the black line, but how can we be sure that the graph is not the one with the red line? (refer to attachment)

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    54.6 KB · Views: 454
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Harmony said:
A curve is given by the parametric equations x=t^2+3, y=y(t^2+3)
Is "y= y(t^2+ 3)" a typo? What is y as a function of t? At first I thought you meant just y= t^2+ 3 but then it reduces to just y= x, for x>= 3.

a)Show that the curve is symmetric about the x-axis.
b)Show that there are no parts of this curve where x<3
c)Find dy/dx in terms of t, and show that (dy/dx)^2 greater or equals to 9.

Sketch the curve by using the above results.

I have no problem in a b and c, but I am a bit confuse ith graph sketching. What is the use of result c on the graph sketching? The answer given is the curve with the black line, but how can we be sure that the graph is not the one with the red line? (refer to attachment)
Can't help until you have corrected the statement of the problem.

Sorry, the y should be t. Correction done.

1. How do you determine the symmetry of the curve x=t^2+3, y=t(t^2+3)?

The curve x=t^2+3, y=t(t^2+3) has symmetry about the y-axis. This can be seen by substituting -t for t in the equation, which results in the same curve.

2. What is the process for sketching the graph of x=t^2+3, y=t(t^2+3)?

To sketch the graph, first make a table of values by choosing values for t and plugging them into the equation to find corresponding values for x and y. Then plot these points on a graph and connect them to form a smooth curve. You can also use symmetry to help with the sketching process.

3. How do you find the x and y-intercepts of the curve x=t^2+3, y=t(t^2+3)?

The x-intercept can be found by setting y=0 and solving for t. Similarly, the y-intercept can be found by setting x=0 and solving for t. In this case, the curve has no x-intercept and a y-intercept of (0,0).

4. Are there any asymptotes in the curve x=t^2+3, y=t(t^2+3)?

No, there are no asymptotes in this curve. As t approaches positive or negative infinity, the curve approaches a parabola shape with no asymptotes.

5. How do you know if a point lies on the curve x=t^2+3, y=t(t^2+3)?

To determine if a point (x,y) lies on the curve, substitute the values of x and y into the equation. If the resulting equation is true, then the point lies on the curve. If it is not true, then the point does not lie on the curve.