Audio Video Receiver Power Limiting

In summary: You have to have a good power supply to handle the current demands.In summary, the power drops off as more channels are driven at the same time because the amplifier transistors have internal resistance and the power supply cannot deliver as much power. The size of the capacitor bank is not as important as the peak power.
MichaelJHuman
If you have ever seen the benchmark of an audio video receiver, you will see how the power drops off as more channels are driven at the same time.

For example, a benchmark done on my receiver, the Yamaha RX-V3900 showed 189 watts into one channel, and only 88 watts into seven channels.

Is anyone familiar with the factors which result in this power limiting?

One possibility is that the transformer used in the power supply limits the current which can be drawn. One theory I read, is that the internal resistance of the transformer starts increasing with current draw which causes a drop in in the output voltage. This drop affects the power supply rails causing clipping to happen at a lower voltage than the normal rail voltage.

Yet another possibility is that the power transformer has insufficient flux to transfer the needed current to the secondary. This implies that the transformer is saturating. I don't understand transformer saturation, so forgive me if this is not a reasonable reason for the limiting I am talking about.

Another possibility is that receivers have a limiting circuit.

I noticed in the service manual for my receiver that the early stages of each amplifier are connected to a different circuit than the final power transistors. This circuit takes the voltage rails as input, and outputs lines labeled +LB/+LB. Based on what little I know (and I know only basic electronics,) this could be limiting the rail voltage supplied to the early amp stages.

I am interested in understanding the main reason for the power drop off as more channels are driven at the same time. If anyone has any insights, I would appreciate it.

Engineering news on Phys.org
It is due to the power supply as a whole, not any single component. Although the size of the capacitor bank will probably be the single most important factor.

f95toli said:
It is due to the power supply as a whole, not any single component. Although the size of the capacitor bank will probably be the single most important factor.

The size of the capacitor bank should only apply to peak power.

In continuous power, having more energy storage does not help as far as I know. You just need enough capacitance to handle their job as filter caps.

My receiver has two 18,000 uf caps, which you would think would not limit continuous power in any way, but would put a limit on peak power draw on transients over average level.

Correct me if I am wrong.

You say the overall power supply is the limiting factor. But that does not help me. We should be able to identify the specific factors in the power supply which are limiting the power output in the situation I described.

The output transistors used in the amplifier are not perfect and they have internal resistance.

If they have to operate into a lower resistance load, they have to deliver more current for the same power and this causes more voltage drop acoss the internal resistance of the transistors.

So, they deliver less power. Amplifiers are usually rated to give their best output into 8 ohm speakers and less into 4 ohm and 2 ohm speakers.

vk6kro said:
The output transistors used in the amplifier are not perfect and they have internal resistance.

If they have to operate into a lower resistance load, they have to deliver more current for the same power and this causes more voltage drop acoss the internal resistance of the transistors.

So, they deliver less power. Amplifiers are usually rated to give their best output into 8 ohm speakers and less into 4 ohm and 2 ohm speakers.

Interesting, I have not heard anyone mention power transistors causing a higher voltage drop when the current is increased.

Do you think this is the main cause of power limiting?

Yes.
It still happens even if the power supply is regulated.

Another factor, though, is that the gain of most transistors drops off as the current increases, so you might get clipping in the drivers as they try harder to drive the main amplifiers.

This is all compromise when they design amplifiers.

1. What is audio video receiver power limiting?

Audio video receiver power limiting is a feature that is built into some receivers to protect the speakers and other components from being damaged by high power levels. It works by automatically reducing the amount of power being sent to the speakers when the receiver detects that the power level is too high.

2. How does audio video receiver power limiting work?

Audio video receiver power limiting works by constantly monitoring the power being sent to the speakers and comparing it to a predetermined threshold. When the power level exceeds this threshold, the receiver will automatically reduce the power being sent to the speakers in order to protect them from damage.

3. Why is audio video receiver power limiting important?

Audio video receiver power limiting is important because it helps to prevent damage to the speakers and other components of the audio system. Without this feature, high power levels could potentially cause the speakers to overheat and fail, resulting in costly repairs or replacements.

4. Can I disable audio video receiver power limiting?

Some receivers may allow you to disable the power limiting feature, but it is generally not recommended. The power limiting feature is designed to protect your equipment, and disabling it could potentially lead to damage. It is best to leave this feature enabled for optimal protection.

5. How can I tell if my audio video receiver has power limiting?

Most modern audio video receivers will have a power limiting feature built-in, but you can check the user manual or specifications of your specific receiver to confirm. You can also look for a "power limiting" or "protection" indicator on the receiver itself, which will light up or flash when the feature is activated.