Amplifier negitive feedback capacitor and resistor in paralell

In summary, the capacitor helps to limit the gain of the amplifier at higher frequencies, which is useful in a control voltage input network.
chopficaro
ok so if we have an amplifier with direct negative feedback we have a voltage follower

if we put a resistor between that inverting input pin and ground, we can do these things:

if we put another resistor between the output and the inverting input we can adjust the gain

if, instead, we use a capacitor between the the output and the inverting input we can get an integrator

im looking at a schematic for a Mass Flow Controller right now that, instead of that resistor or that capacitor between the output and the inverting input, we have both a resistor and a capacitor, in parallel, between the output and the inverting input. what does that do and how can i measure what it does?

Engineering news on Phys.org
chopficaro said:
ok so if we have an amplifier with direct negative feedback we have a voltage follower

if we put a resistor between that inverting input pin and ground, we can do these things:

if we put another resistor between the output and the inverting input we can adjust the gain

if, instead, we use a capacitor between the the output and the inverting input we can get an integrator

im looking at a schematic for a Mass Flow Controller right now that, instead of that resistor or that capacitor between the output and the inverting input, we have both a resistor and a capacitor, in parallel, between the output and the inverting input. what does that do and how can i measure what it does?

Welcome to the PF. What is the problem with having *just* a capacitor as the feedback? What would happen if there is an offset, and that keeps getting integrated?

The capacitor has more effect at high frequencies.

Capacitors have less reactance as the frequency rises, so it is like having a smaller resistance there.

This means the amplifier would have less gain at high frequencies than at lower frequencies.

The setup you describe was not a voltage follower, though. It is an amplifier with reducing gain at higher frequencies.

The resistor sets a limit to the gain at low frequencies, otherwise the amplifier could become unstable.

Testing it is easy. Just apply a signal to the input. Measure the output.
Gain = Output / input.
Do this at different frequencies.

Last edited:
chopficaro said:

You might try plotting the phase and gain of the amplifier versus frequency using a polar plot. Obviously they are limiting the gain at higher frequencies. Can you find the roll off frequency? Why do you think they chose that frequency?

As you point out, a capacitor C from the output back to the inverting input is an integrator. If there is a resistor R1 in parallel with the capacitor, it is a leaky integrator with a decay time constant R1C. If you have an input resistor R2 to the inverting input (with the non inverting input tied to ground through a resistor R3**), then a short pulse of voltage V and time t will put charge Q = Vt/R2 on the capacitor, so the output voltage is Q/C, and the decay time constant is R1C.

**1/R3 = 1/R1 + 1/R2

ah i think i see now. this amplifier is a small part of a mass flow controller. another amplifier in the schematic uses mechanical feedback to keep the valve open just enough to allow a certain amount of gas through that the user defines by setting a control voltage. this amplifier that we have been discussing is in the control voltage input network. i can see that if the user changed the control voltage to quickly, it could cause oscillations in the flow, rather than a steady desired flow value. i think that this capacitor is used to make sure that control voltage doesn't change too quickly. thank you all for helping me understand

1. What is the purpose of having a capacitor and resistor in parallel in an amplifier's negative feedback circuit?

The capacitor and resistor in parallel serve as a low-pass filter in the negative feedback loop of an amplifier. This helps to stabilize the gain of the amplifier and reduce distortion by filtering out high-frequency noise and signals.

2. How do the values of the capacitor and resistor affect the performance of the amplifier?

The values of the capacitor and resistor can affect the frequency response and gain of the amplifier. A larger capacitor value will result in a lower cutoff frequency, while a larger resistor value will result in a higher cutoff frequency. The values must be carefully chosen to achieve the desired frequency response and gain.

3. Can the capacitor and resistor in parallel be replaced with other components?

Yes, the capacitor and resistor can be replaced with other components such as an inductor or a diode. However, these components may not provide the same frequency response and stability as a capacitor and resistor in parallel.

4. How does negative feedback improve the performance of an amplifier?

Negative feedback reduces the gain of the amplifier and stabilizes its operation. This results in a more linear and less distorted output signal, as well as a wider bandwidth and improved frequency response.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using a capacitor and resistor in parallel for negative feedback?

One potential disadvantage is that the addition of the capacitor and resistor can introduce phase shift in the negative feedback loop, which can affect the stability of the amplifier. This must be carefully considered when designing the circuit.