Matura exam results wrong ? (probabiltity of shooting the target)

• Thread starter Дьявол
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exam
In summary, the matura exam results are wrong. It is possible that the target was not shot correctly.
Дьявол
matura exam results wrong !? (probabiltity of shooting the target)

Hello!
I got one task that I seem to solved it correctly. But the matura exam results are different then my solution.

Here is the task:
There is one target which is divided on three concentric zones. Here is picture of it:
2hmj4ma.jpg

So the whole target is not the center of the darts, but the whole surface of the darts.

The task is to find the probability that the target will be missed by all of the shooters.

I find it like:

A - the Ist shooter hits the target

B - the IInd shooter hits the target

C- the IIIrd shooter hits the target

[tex]P(\bar{A} \cap \bar{B} \cap \bar{C}) = P(\bar{A})*P(\bar{B})*P(\bar{C})=(1-0,16)*(1-0,24)*(1-0,17)[/tex]

And their solution is 1- P(A U B U C) which they wrote it like 1 - (P(A)+P(B)+P(C)).

Which solution is correct?

Mine or theirs?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

I find the picture very confusing. It is divided into three areas and each area has a different probability but apparently those probabilities are the probabilities a specific shooter will hit the entire target. The three areas are irrelevant.
If P(A) is the probability that the first shooter will hit the target, P(B) the probability the second shooter will, and P(C) the probability the third shooter will hit the target, then what you give is correct.

What "they" give is incorrect. [itex]1- (A\cup B\cup C)[/itex] is the probability they do NOT all hit the target- the probability that at least one misses.
(And, by the way, [itex]1- (A\cup B\cup C)[/itex] is NOT 1- (P(A)+ P(B)+ P(C)). In fact, if P(A)+ P(B)+ P(C)> 1, which is quite plausible, that would give a negative probability! The probability of [itex]1- (A\cup B\cup C)[/itex] is 1- P(A)*P(B)*P(C).

HallsofIvy said:
I find the picture very confusing. It is divided into three areas and each area has a different probability but apparently those probabilities are the probabilities a specific shooter will hit the entire target. The three areas are irrelevant.
If P(A) is the probability that the first shooter will hit the target, P(B) the probability the second shooter will, and P(C) the probability the third shooter will hit the target, then what you give is correct.

What "they" give is incorrect. [itex]1- (A\cup B\cup C)[/itex] is the probability they do NOT all hit the target- the probability that at least one misses.
(And, by the way, [itex]1- (A\cup B\cup C)[/itex] is NOT 1- (P(A)+ P(B)+ P(C)). In fact, if P(A)+ P(B)+ P(C)> 1, which is quite plausible, that would give a negative probability! The probability of [itex]1- (A\cup B\cup C)[/itex] is 1- P(A)*P(B)*P(C).

Thanks for the reply HallsofIvy.

I also find the task very confusing. We have already discussed in other thread about this problem, and I already understood it.

I also realized that P(A)+ P(B)+ P(C) can be >1 and their solution is incorrect.

Here is their solution:

33usxed.jpg

D: the target is being hit

[tex]\bar{D}[/tex]: the target is not being hit.

The other thing is all the same.

Thanks again for confirming.

Regards.

Related to Matura exam results wrong ? (probabiltity of shooting the target)

1. What is the Matura exam and why is it important?

The Matura exam is a standardized test that is taken by students in many European countries, including Austria, Germany, Poland, and Switzerland. It is an important exam because it is typically the final exam that students take before graduating from high school. The results of the Matura exam can have a significant impact on a student's future education and career opportunities.

2. How is the Matura exam graded and how is the probability of shooting the target related?

The Matura exam is typically graded on a scale of 1-5, with 1 being the highest grade and 5 being the lowest. The probability of shooting the target is related to the grading system in that the higher the grade, the higher the probability of achieving a certain score on the exam. For example, a student who receives a grade of 1 on the Matura exam has a higher probability of shooting the target than a student who receives a grade of 5.

3. Can the Matura exam results be wrong?

As with any standardized test, there is always a possibility for errors in grading or scoring. However, the Matura exam is carefully designed and administered to minimize these errors. It is also important to note that the probability of shooting the target is not solely based on the Matura exam results, but also on the individual's skills and abilities.

4. How can I improve my probability of shooting the target?

There is no one definitive answer to this question as it depends on various factors such as individual strengths and weaknesses, study habits, and test-taking strategies. However, some general tips for improving your probability of shooting the target on the Matura exam include studying regularly, practicing past exams, and seeking help from teachers or tutors if needed.

5. What happens if I do not achieve a high enough probability of shooting the target on the Matura exam?

If you do not achieve a high enough probability of shooting the target on the Matura exam, it may limit your options for further education or employment opportunities. However, it is important to remember that the Matura exam is not the only factor that determines your future success. There are always alternative paths and opportunities available, and it is important to stay motivated and determined to reach your goals.