Creating Wrong Answers for a Question Paper

• Thread starter Sourabh N
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paper
In summary, the author is making a question paper with answers that have multiple options. The author made the questions and the right answer, but is unable to get wrong answers. People are asked to make basic level mistakes to get a wrong answer and the author asks for help.
Sourabh N
I'm making a question paper with answers having multiple options. I made/got the questions and right answer, but I'm unable to get wrong answers. Please people try to make some basic level mistake to get a wrong answer and tell me (Pardon me if I've posted this in wrong place)

1) Find the shortest period of rotation of a planet in terms of [tex]\rho[/tex] ([tex]\rho[/tex] represents uniform density of spherical planet)

Physics news on Phys.org
2) A meter stick of total length l is pivoted a distance d from one end of a frictionless bearing. The stick is suspended so that it becomes a pendulum. Assume the total mass of stick is constant and distributed uniformly over the body. The acceleration of gravity is g. Find value of d for frequency of small oscillations to be maximum.

Be careful not to make the wrong answers too plausible.
In my first try at a multiple choice test, nobody picked my right answers.

Ya, I will. But I need wrong answers, please help...

I donno abt the rongs but i no the rights..

I think ans 1 is [tex]\sqrt{\frac{3\pi}{G \rho}}[/tex]

& ans 2 =>> f= [tex]\frac{1}{2\pi}[/tex][tex]\sqrt{\frac{g (\frac{l}{2}-d)}{(\frac{l}{2}-d)^{2}+\frac{l^{2}}{12}}}[/tex]

for f to be maximum d=[tex]\frac{l}{2\sqrt{3}}(\sqrt{3}-1)[/tex]

Last edited:
pl tel if they are rite or rong.

Sourabh N said:
I'm making a question paper with answers having multiple options. I made/got the questions and right answer, but I'm unable to get wrong answers. Please people try to make some basic level mistake to get a wrong answer and tell me (Pardon me if I've posted this in wrong place)

<snip>

One way to generate wrong answers is to explicitly write down the entire solution procedure, and at a few steps, selected randomly or because they represent something you are testing, do something like swtich a multiply to a divide, or invert, or something elementary like that.

Negative marking is reprehensible. Deliberately devious choices even more so. I urge you to reconsider your evaluation scheme.

Please. The goal of any exam is for the instructor to evaluate the students' ability.

Yeah I've got to agree with Andy. Putting *close to right* answers is a great way to test if people actually know the material to the fullest extent.

ObsessiveMathsFreak said:
Negative marking is reprehensible.
Nope. Random crossings are to give no more points than a blank paper.
Deliberately devious choices even more so.
Nope, It pinpoints where the flaws lie.
Here in Norway, when I studied, our exams were in "long hand", where of course the examiner could pinpoint flaws in the reasoning.
There is nothing wrong in preserving this feature in other examination types as well.

The first question isn't very good for multiple option exercise, since the student who can derive frequency independend on any other parameters except density will almost certainly find the true solution. Changing formula without mismatch in units seems almost impossible, so it is probably best to make the wrong answers basicly the same as the right one (the same dependence on the variable ro and gravity constant), but with different numerical constants.

A "decent" wrong answer for the second question would be the one where a student fails to use parallel axis theorem and simplifies things by putting

I=m*R^2=m*(d^2+l^2)

into the equation. The corresponding solution conveniently turns out to be d=l.

Last edited:

1. How do you come up with wrong answers for a question paper?

To create wrong answers for a question paper, you need to have a good understanding of the subject and the concepts being tested. Look for common misconceptions or mistakes that students might make. You can also use distractors, which are incorrect options that may seem plausible to students.

2. Are there any specific techniques for creating wrong answers?

Yes, there are several techniques you can use. One is the "opposite answer" technique, where you provide an answer that is the exact opposite of the correct answer. Another is the "almost right" technique, where you provide an answer that is close to the correct answer, but has a minor error or is missing a key detail.

3. How do you ensure that the wrong answers are not too obvious?

To avoid making the wrong answers too obvious, try to make them sound plausible and avoid using extreme or exaggerated options. You can also use common mistakes or misconceptions as a basis for your wrong answers.

4. Is it important to include wrong answers in a question paper?

Yes, including wrong answers is essential for testing students' understanding and critical thinking skills. It also helps to differentiate between students who have a solid understanding of the material and those who have a superficial understanding.

5. Can wrong answers be used to trick or confuse students?

No, the purpose of wrong answers is not to trick or confuse students. They should be used to challenge students and test their understanding of the material. It's important to ensure that the wrong answers are plausible and not misleading or confusing.