Could exercise induced asthma be causing my breathing difficulties?

In summary, the person is worried that they may have E.I.A., and is looking for advice on what to do next. They are also concerned about their fitness level, and whether or not an inhaler would make a difference for them when running long distances.
Bryian
As it is right now, I'm fairly certain I have E.I.A.
I've setup an appointment with my doctor but the soonest I could get one was 2 weeks from now, so I've been trying to further educate myself on it so I could go in with a little bit better of an idea of what I think I have.

At first I thought it was just me being out of shape, but after talking with people about how when I run for ~3 minutes outside I feel like my lungs are about to explode with the effect of being out of breath for between 30 minutes and an hour afterwards, my thoughts on it have changed.

Thing is, I only get the "breathlessness" to last so long when I run outside. Which from what I've read up on is because of the air you bring in not being normalized in temp when it's brought in through the mouth opposed to the nostrils.
But even while running indoors, I have terrible endurance as in(can only run/maintain a jogging pace for 6 minutes at best) at that point I'm tired, but given 2 minutes of rest I'm ready to startup again.

What I'm wondering, is that let's say my doctor agrees and prescribes whatever inhaler/aid for it, will it help my ability to run for prolonged periods of time indoors? Or is that just a sign of how out of shape I am, while the inhaler will only help with the times where I feel out of breathe after being outside.

Thanks in advance, it's just been really bothering me lately about how I've always struggled to make any progress in terms of cardio when the problem could have been something shared between my siblings that I just never thought of before.
If it has any relevance I weigh 140 lbs @ 5'10, 17 y/o

Biology news on Phys.org
Those are good questions, but they're best answered by your doctor.

We can't give advice about your health issues. It's good that you are going to the doctor. Hope it all turns out well.

1. What is exercise induced asthma?

Exercise induced asthma (EIA) is a type of asthma that is triggered by physical activity, particularly activities that involve prolonged or intense exercise. It is also known as exercise-induced bronchoconstriction (EIB) or exercise-induced bronchospasm (EIBS).

2. What causes exercise induced asthma?

The exact cause of exercise induced asthma is not fully understood, but it is believed to be due to a combination of factors including the drying and cooling of the airways during exercise, increased breathing through the mouth, and the release of certain chemicals in the body during physical activity.

3. What are the symptoms of exercise induced asthma?

The most common symptoms of exercise induced asthma include wheezing, coughing, chest tightness, shortness of breath, and difficulty breathing during or after physical activity. These symptoms may occur immediately after exercise or can be delayed by several hours.

4. Can exercise induced asthma be prevented?

While exercise induced asthma cannot be completely prevented, there are several steps that can be taken to reduce the risk of an asthma attack during physical activity. These include warming up properly before exercise, avoiding activities in cold or dry environments, and using appropriate medications as prescribed by a doctor.

5. How is exercise induced asthma treated?

Treatment for exercise induced asthma usually involves a combination of medication and lifestyle modifications. Short-acting bronchodilators, such as albuterol, can be used before exercise to open up the airways and prevent symptoms. Long-acting medications, such as inhaled corticosteroids, may also be prescribed to manage symptoms on a daily basis. In addition, avoiding triggers and staying physically fit can help improve symptoms and reduce the frequency of asthma attacks.