Energy scale of Hubble constant for dark energy scalar field

In summary: I somewhat doubt it. My bet is he was using the Friedmann equation: $$ H^2 = \frac{8\pi G}{3}\rho = \frac{1}{3M_P^2}\rho = H_0^2 \frac{\rho}{\rho_c}. $$ The last equality states a relation between ## H_0, M_P## and ## \rho_c ## as follows $$ H_0 = \frac{1}{M_P}\ \sqrt{\frac{\rho_c}{3}}. $$ Using the critical density and Planck mass values in eV given by ## \rho_c = 3.649\times
victorvmotti
Hello All,

In Carroll's there is a brief introduction to a dynamical dark energy in which the equation of motion for slowly rolling scalar field is discussed.

Then to give an idea about the mass scale of this field it is compared to the Hubble constant, saying that it has an energy of almost [itex] H_0= 10^-33 eV [/itex].

If we assume that the Hubble constant is almost 70 km/s/Mpc can someone please show how we infer and compute that energy scale in particle physics?

Space news on Phys.org
I'm not familiar with how Carrol derived his value. This article by Peebles although older may provide some insight.

http://arxiv.org/pdf/astro-ph/0207347v2.pdf

victorvmotti said:
If we assume that the Hubble constant is almost 70s km/s/Mpc can someone please show how we infer and compute that energy scale in particle physics?

I haven't done it, but let's try the following.

First, in H_0, convert either km to Mpc, or Mpc to km, thus converting H_0 to units of s^{-1}. Next, to get H_0 in units of energy, multiply by Planck's constant. If uints of Joule-seconds are used for Plank's constant, convert J to eV. If units of eV-seconds are used for Planck's constant, there is no need for this last step.

George Jones said:
I haven't done it, but let's try the following.

First, in H_0, convert either km to Mpc, or Mpc to km, thus converting H_0 to units of s^{-1}. Next, to get H_0 in units of energy, multiply by Planck's constant. If uints of Joule-seconds are used for Plank's constant, convert J to eV. If units of eV-seconds are used for Planck's constant, there is no need for this last step.
I somewhat doubt it. My bet is he was using the Friedmann equation:

[tex]H^2 = {8\pi G \over 3} \rho[/tex]

The [itex]\rho[/itex] on the right is a mass density, so multiply by ##c^2## to get an energy density.

The reason I think this is the way the calculation was done is because if we have a universe with only dark energy in it, then it is the Friedmann equation above that relates the energy density of the dark energy to the expansion rate.

Chalnoth said:
The reason I think this is the way the calculation was done is because if we have a universe with only dark energy in it, then it is the Friedmann equation above that relates the energy density of the dark energy to the expansion rate.

But using units such that ##\hbar = 1##, which is standard in particle physics, makes energy and inverse time equivalent in all of physics, not just in the Friedmann equation. I have now done the unit conversion calculation, and it works.

Not sure on either method as the OP used the term dynamically dark energy..

sounds like he is suggesting an evolving dark energy in relation the H_o.

This is one of his earlier papers on dark energy but it doesn't appear to fit the OPs descriptive. However I could be reading to much into it

http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0301273

the paper may or may not have the correct metrics Carrol is using. Perhaps the OP can provide a reference as to which article of Carrol's he saw that line in

Edit just saw George Jones post

Thanks a lot, all clear now, for the record the reference is his book Spacetime and Geometry, page 360.

George Jones said:
I have now done the unit conversion calculation, and it works.
Me too.

(In the course of that calculation, I also noticed Wikipedia's value for the Hubble time looks wrong by 1 order of magnitude.)

Effectively as Chalnoth said, Carroll is using the Friedmann equation $$ H^2 = \frac{8\pi G}{3}\rho = \frac{1}{3M_P^2}\rho = H_0^2 \frac{\rho}{\rho_c}. $$ The last equality states a relation between ## H_0, M_P## and ## \rho_c ## as follows $$ H_0 = \frac{1}{M_P}\ \sqrt{\frac{\rho_c}{3}}. $$ Using the critical density and Planck mass values in eV given by ## \rho_c = 3.649\times 10^{-11} ##eV##^{4}## and ## M_P = 2.435\times 10^{27} ##eV, you obtain $$ H_0 = 1.43228\times 10^{-33} eV\, . $$

1. What is the Hubble constant and its role in understanding dark energy?

The Hubble constant is a measure of the rate at which the universe is expanding. It is used to determine the age, size, and evolution of the universe. In the context of dark energy, the Hubble constant helps us understand the expansion rate of the universe and how dark energy affects it.

2. How is the energy scale of the Hubble constant related to dark energy?

The energy scale of the Hubble constant refers to the amount of energy needed for the expansion of the universe. Dark energy is a theoretical concept that is believed to be the source of this expansion. The energy scale of the Hubble constant helps us understand the amount of energy required for dark energy to drive the expansion of the universe.

3. What is the significance of the dark energy scalar field in the energy scale of the Hubble constant?

The dark energy scalar field is a theoretical concept used to explain the source of dark energy. It is believed to be a type of energy that permeates throughout the universe and causes the expansion. The energy scale of the Hubble constant helps us understand the behavior and properties of this scalar field.

4. How is the energy scale of the Hubble constant measured?

The energy scale of the Hubble constant is measured through various methods, such as using Type Ia supernovae, baryon acoustic oscillations, and cosmic microwave background radiation. These observations provide data that can be used to calculate the expansion rate of the universe and, consequently, the energy scale of the Hubble constant.

5. How does the energy scale of the Hubble constant for dark energy scalar field impact our understanding of the universe?

The energy scale of the Hubble constant for dark energy scalar field is a crucial factor in understanding the overall dynamics and evolution of the universe. It helps us determine the amount of energy required for the expansion and how it affects the formation and distribution of galaxies and other celestial bodies. Understanding the energy scale of the Hubble constant is crucial to our understanding of the fundamental nature of the universe.