Where do you buy your pathogens, parasites, bio-simulants, etc?

• Thread starter flying fish
  • Start date
In summary, the researcher is looking for a substitute for real water parasites, but is having difficulty finding one. They have found one option for a simulant, yeast, but it is not cheap. They are also looking into optical sorting and automation for the detection of parasites.
flying fish
For a research project, I am trying to get either simulants, or real water parasites that have been inactivated (in particular Cryptosporidium and Giardia).

I've found some options for actual crypto, like the Sterling parasitology lab at the University of Arizona. But they want 200 bucks per ml of the concentration of parasites that I would be working with...which could potentially work for certain parts of my research that only require small amounts (like the optical tweezing I mentioned in another thread), but for "bulk micro-separation" (another parallel project) I would need a more affordable substitute.

And I still haven't found a source for Giardia.

One thing that comes to mind as a possible simulant is yeast...It is a fungi, but doesn't it also form spores which are similar in size to crypto?

Biology news on Phys.org
If you only want a simulant that is roughly the same size as the oocysts (4-6 micron for crypto and 6-10 micron for giardia) you might look at synthetic latex of that size. They can be made fairly easily in your laboratory. You would only need to show that the latex particles behave the same as your (valuable) biological samples with small scale experiments and then scale it up using the cheaper latex 'simulant'.

I wonder if red blood cells (6-8 micron) might work?

I do like your idea of using the real bio's to help verify a simulant that can be used for continued (and less expensive) studies.

I think the latex spheres may work for the "micro-centrifuge" that I'm working on, which is actually the thing that requires the most particles, because it is designed for sorting lots of particles in relatively high volumes of fluid.

Then for the other things...like optical sorting, and ultimately trying to make an automated detector for these things, we probably would need the real bios or something very close.

Depending on the properties according you want to sort them (I did not read the mentioned other thread yet) it may be necessary to actually use the right organisms (possibly even life ones). Problem is that if you do not have the ability to cultivate these organisms, they tend to get rather expensive in any case.
Most strains are available for instance from the ATCC, however usually it will cost you 150-500$ per sample.

Thanks! I have not found the ATCC previously in my searches. They will mostly be sorted according to size, although other things like refractive index and buoyancy might also come into play. I'm investigating two systems for sorting - one that uses optical trapping to steer particles according to their size and refractive index (and thus trapping efficiency), and one that utilizes a bunch of crazy fluid mechanics principles that I'm still trying to understand.

I did find a supplier that sells Giardia in a concentration of 10^6/ml, but as you say, they are not cheap - around $500. "In theory" that is enough to work with...but of course right now I'm working with microfluidic chips that are not actually bonded but rather mechanically clamped, so there would be a good deal of leakage and thus loss of fluid and the organisms suspended in it. It might be possible to re-capture and re-use them, but everything would have to be super clean to prevent contamination, and I'm sure there could be other problems with this plan.

On one hand - If we use a very low concentration of parasites, it will be hard to find them under our imaging system, and thus hard to prove that we are sorting them. On the other hand...We do need to learn how to pre-concentrate and sort from an extremely low concentration - because even "extremely low" concentrations of Giardia in drinking water are relatively high from the perspective of someone that is going to drink the water!

All I know is that it would suck to dump $500 worth of parasites into the chip and not have any success.

For proof of principle experiments it may be sufficient to use a mixture easily cultivable non-pathogenous protozoa (or yeast, as you mentioned) for your experiments. That is, if you have some facilities near you that you could use (at least an autoclave and maybe an incubator).
As for the moment I assume it should be sufficient to demonstrate that the cells can be sorted at all.

A little late but - we sell Cryptosporidium oocysts. Flying fish, if you or anyone else is interested in more information, send me an e-mail: pritchard@turbonet.com
Hope your experiment worked out.

1. Where can I purchase pathogens for my research?

There are several suppliers that offer a variety of pathogens for research purposes. Some of the most popular include ATCC, BEI Resources, and the National Collection of Type Cultures (NCTC). These suppliers have a wide range of pathogens available for purchase, including bacteria, viruses, fungi, and parasites.

2. How do I know the quality of the pathogens I am buying?

It is important to purchase pathogens from reputable suppliers that have a track record of providing high-quality, well-characterized samples. Look for suppliers that have ISO or other relevant certifications, as well as those that provide detailed information about the origin and characteristics of their pathogens.

3. Can I buy pathogens directly from the source?

In some cases, it may be possible to obtain pathogens directly from the source, such as a hospital or public health agency. However, this is not always recommended, as these sources may not have the proper protocols and regulations in place for handling and shipping pathogens safely. It is generally safer and more reliable to purchase from established suppliers.

4. Are there any legal restrictions for purchasing pathogens?

Yes, there are legal restrictions for purchasing certain types of pathogens, especially those that are considered potential biosecurity threats. It is important to familiarize yourself with local, state, and federal regulations before making any purchases. In some cases, you may need to obtain special permits or licenses to handle and transport certain pathogens.

5. Can I purchase bio-simulants for my experiments?

Yes, there are suppliers that offer bio-simulants for research purposes. These are materials that mimic the properties and behavior of living organisms, but are not actual pathogens. Bio-simulants can be useful for testing procedures and equipment without the risk of working with live pathogens. However, it is important to note that these materials may not accurately reflect the behavior of real pathogens, so caution should be taken when using them for research purposes.

Back