Emacs: How to Color Words & Get Right Indentation

• Thread starter MaxManus
  • Start date
In summary, to color specific words in Emacs, you can use the font-lock-add-keywords function and customize the colors for specific programming languages. To change the default indentation, adjust the indent-tabs-mode and tab-width variables. You can also customize the color scheme by using the custom-set-faces function and install different color themes. To enable automatic indentation, use the electric-indent-mode function and customize the behavior for specific languages. To undo changes to the indentation, use the undo command or manually adjust with indent-region.
MaxManus
Hello, does anyone know how to get Emacs to color words like "def, class, or, and" etc.. and to give me the right indentation, 4, when I press TAB?

Is it just save as program_name.py?

Technology news on Phys.org
M-x python-mode? (That's Alt+x and then type "python-mode")

1. How do I color specific words in Emacs?

In order to color specific words in Emacs, you can use the font-lock-add-keywords function. This allows you to specify the words or patterns you want to color, as well as the color you want to use. You can also customize the colors for specific programming languages by using language-specific modes.

2. How can I change the default indentation in Emacs?

You can change the default indentation in Emacs by adjusting the indent-tabs-mode variable. Setting it to nil will use spaces for indentation, while setting it to t will use tabs. You can also specify the number of spaces or tabs to use for indentation by changing the value of tab-width variable.

3. Can I customize the color scheme in Emacs?

Yes, you can customize the color scheme in Emacs by using the custom-set-faces function. This allows you to specify the colors for different elements such as keywords, strings, and comments. You can also install and use different color themes to change the overall appearance of Emacs.

4. How do I enable automatic indentation in Emacs?

To enable automatic indentation in Emacs, you can use the electric-indent-mode function. This will automatically indent your code as you type, based on the syntax of the programming language you are using. You can also customize the indentation behavior for specific languages by using language-specific modes.

5. Is there a way to undo changes to the indentation in Emacs?

Yes, you can undo changes to the indentation in Emacs by using the undo command. This will revert the indentation back to its previous state. You can also use the indent-region command to manually adjust the indentation for a specific section of code.