Solving a Tricky Sum: Convergence of \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_{n}

• Thread starter twoflower
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sum
In summary, this problem is from a previous year's winter semester math test for informatics. It is possible to solve it using Taylor's series, but it is also possible to use a bounds derived from a series.
twoflower
Hi,

I really don't know which trick should I use to solve convergence of this sum:

[tex]
\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_{n}
[/tex]

where

[tex]
a_{n} = \left( 1 - \frac{1}{n^2} \right)^{n} - 1
[/tex]

Neither binomial development nor writing first few terms helped me, and because all terms of this sum are negative, I can't use many of theorems...

It seems it could have something to do with e, but I can't see the adjustment to get it exactly...

Thank you for any suggestion.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does this help?

[tex]1 - \frac {1}{n^2} = \left( 1 - \frac {1}{n}\right) \left( 1 + \frac {1}{n}\right)[/tex]

Tide said:
Does this help?

[tex]1 - \frac {1}{n^2} = \left( 1 - \frac {1}{n}\right) \left( 1 + \frac {1}{n}\right)[/tex]

Not much :redface:

Does this help?

[tex]\lim_{n -> \infty} \left(1 - \frac {1}{n}\right)^n = \frac {1}{e}[/tex]

Yes I noticed it, but the only thing I was able to use it for was the prove of necessary convergence condition. Anyway, I can't realize how to use this information in proving of convergence itself...

I tried

[tex]
\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{a_{n+1}}{a_{n}} < 1
[/tex]

But it doesn't seem so...

Damn!
This one seems really difficult, and I have only one lame suggestion:
[tex](1-\frac{1}{n^{2}})^{n}-1^{n}=-\frac{1}{n^{2}}\sum_{i=0}^{n-1}(1-\frac{1}{n^{2}})^{i}[/tex]
Hence, your originial partial sum can be written as:
[tex]-\sum_{n=1}^{N}\sum_{i=0}^{n-1}\frac{1}{n^{2}}(1-\frac{1}{n^{2}})^{i}[/tex]

Possibly, this double sum may be rewritten in a clever manner as a Cauchy product, but I'm a bit skeptical..

I took a look at what Cauchy product is (at wolfram.com) and I think that however it may lead to solving this problem, we're intended to solve it otherwise, because Cauchy product was not ever mentioned in the lecture...

Is this a series from a practice final again? This is another question that I want to use Taylor series, or some bounds derived from series. You really need to know something about how fast [tex](1-1/n^2)^n[/tex] is approaching 1, and unless you've been given some inequalities to that effect (or some bounds like [tex]e^x\geq 1+x[/tex]) I don't see how you can do this.

shmoe said:
Is this a series from a practice final again? This is another question that I want to use Taylor series, or some bounds derived from series. You really need to know something about how fast [tex](1-1/n^2)^n[/tex] is approaching 1, and unless you've been given some inequalities to that effect (or some bounds like [tex]e^x\geq 1+x[/tex]) I don't see how you can do this.

No, this is just a problem from previous year winter semester from mathematical analysis test for informatics. It's definitely possible that it should be solved using Talyor's polynom, because according to sylabus we should learn it before the test comes...but now we're only at derivatives.

I can't think of another way. The lower bound [tex]e^x\geq 1+x[/tex] (true for all x) in my last post is easy enough to prove just knowing derivatives, but I also want to use the upper bound [tex]e^{-1/x}\leq 1-1/(2x)[/tex] (for x>1) that won't be so easy to prove*.

If you assume these bounds (though you should be able to prove the first), you should be able to solve it. Try writing

[tex]\left( 1 - \frac{1}{n^2} \right)^{n}-1=e^{n\log\left( 1 - \frac{1}{n^2} \right)}-1[/tex]

And converting [tex]e^x\geq 1+x[/tex] to a bound for log, [tex]x\geq \log(1+x)[/tex]. Use this bound on the exponent. Then use the harder to prove upper bound.

edit*-on furthur thought, this won't be so difficult. You'll only need it to hold for large x. This is equivalent to proving [tex]e^{-y}\leq 1-y/2[/tex] holds for (positive) values of y that are close to zero, which can be done using only derivatives.

Last edited:
[tex]n\ln(1 - \frac{1}{n^2})\sim-\frac{n}{n^2}=-\frac{1}{n}\rightarrow 0[/tex]

So, [tex](1 - \frac{1}{n^2})^{n}-1=e^{n\ln(1 - \frac{1}{n^2} )}-1\sim-\frac{1}{n}[/tex]

Now, you can conclude ;).

The easiest way to do this, is by making the binomial coeffecient expansion (I'll just change the sign):
[tex]1-(1-\frac{1}{n^{2}})^{n}=\sum_{i=1}^{n}(-1)^{i-1}\binom{n}{i}\frac{1}{n^{2i}}[/tex]
Now, you should be able to show that:
[tex]\binom{n}{i}\frac{1}{n^{2i}}\leq\frac{1}{i!n^{i}}[/tex]

Hence, each coefficient [tex]a_{n}[/tex] is an alternating (finite) series with terms of decreasing magnitude, hence:
[tex]a_{n}\geq\frac{1}{n}-\frac{1}{2n^{2}}\geq\frac{1}{n}-\frac{1}{2n}=\frac{1}{2n}[/tex]

Hence, your series diverges faster than one half of the harmonic series.

That was nice and simple arildno! I gave up without too much thought on the binomial expansion and headed for a less direct route to get the same result (half the harmonic is what my string of inequalities will also yield).

1. What is the definition of convergence in a series?

Convergence in a series refers to the property of a series where the sum of the terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases. In other words, the series converges if the sum of infinitely many terms is finite.

2. How do you determine if a series is convergent or divergent?

To determine if a series is convergent or divergent, we can use various tests such as the comparison test, ratio test, root test, integral test, or the alternating series test. These tests involve analyzing the behavior of the terms in the series to determine if they approach a finite value or not.

3. What is the role of the limit in determining convergence of a series?

The limit plays a crucial role in determining the convergence of a series. If the limit of the terms in the series approaches a finite value, the series is said to be convergent. However, if the limit does not exist or approaches infinity, the series is said to be divergent.

4. How does the rate of growth of the terms affect the convergence of a series?

The rate of growth of the terms in a series can greatly impact its convergence. If the terms in the series grow at a slow rate, the series is more likely to converge. On the other hand, if the terms grow at a fast rate, the series is more likely to diverge. This is why we use tests like the comparison test to determine the behavior of the terms in the series.

5. Can a series be both convergent and divergent?

No, a series cannot be both convergent and divergent. A series can only have one of these two properties. If a series is convergent, it cannot be divergent, and vice versa. However, it is possible for a series to be neither convergent nor divergent, in which case we say that the series is oscillating or has no defined limit.