Reaction force, Bending Moments on a sub frame

In summary: Overall, it is important to analyze each part separately and then combine the results to get a complete understanding of the frame's behavior. In summary, it is best to break down the frame into individual parts and analyze them separately to determine reaction forces and forces in the main frame.
grandnat_6
Hi,

I've been working on a tubular sub frame, that I want to attach to a main frame. The attached shows the sub frame in black lines. The main fram is in purple. There are only four connection points and a force pushing down on each side.

When I check for the reaction forces and make the shear/moment diagram, do I want to use the full 43" to make it? or do I tackle it by making a shear/moment diagram for the 18" part and then tranfer those forces to the cross members? and then transfer again to the other cross members? If the later is the correct way, the angled beam to the bolted joint; the reaction force of the orginal force tranfers over, do you treat this like a cantiliver beam?

Thanks.

Attachments

• SUBFRAME.pdf
    5.1 KB · Views: 203
Engineering news on Phys.org
</code>The best way to approach this would be to break down the frame into individual parts, and then analyze them one at a time. You can start by making shear/moment diagrams for the 18" part and then transfer those forces to the cross members. For the angled beam to the bolted joint, you can treat it like a cantilever beam, since the force is transferred from one point (the bolted joint) to another (the angled beam). This will help you determine the reaction forces at each connection point, which can then be used to determine the forces in the main frame.

What is reaction force?

Reaction force is the force exerted by a support on an object in response to the object's weight or movement. It is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the force applied by the object.

How is reaction force calculated?

Reaction force can be calculated by using Newton's Third Law of Motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. Therefore, the reaction force can be calculated by determining the force applied by the object and then using this value as the magnitude for the reaction force in the opposite direction.

What is a bending moment?

A bending moment is a measure of the internal force or stress that causes an object to bend or deform. It is typically measured in units of force multiplied by distance, such as newton-meters (Nm) or pound-feet (lb-ft).

What causes bending moments on a sub frame?

Bending moments on a sub frame are caused by external forces acting on the sub frame, such as the weight of the object it is supporting, wind or earthquake loads, or forces from other connected structures.

How do bending moments affect the stability of a sub frame?

Bending moments can affect the stability of a sub frame by causing it to deform or fail under the applied forces. Excessive bending moments can lead to buckling or collapse of the sub frame, which can have serious consequences for the overall structure it supports.