What are the differences between the two graphs of electron probability density?

In summary, the graphs showing the probability density of 1s orbital have different interpretations. The first graph represents the probability of the electron being within a small volume around the nucleus, while the second graph represents the probability of the electron being within a shell of a certain radius. Both graphs are correct and are based on the same function, but with different interpretations.
jd12345
Ok I am a noob in quantum mechanics so please keep the level down for me to understand.
My text gives a graph of probability density(ψ^2) of 1s orbital agaisnt distance r -
The graph is maximum near the nucleus and then decreases - i always thought electron has max probability at the bohr's radius but the graph seemsto show max near the nucleus. IS it correct.

Searching at many places i have actually found two graphs - one which shows maximum at nucleus and then it decreases and
other which shows zero at nucleus and then increases upto a point and then decreases

Are both different ? Which is correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello jd12345,
in fact both graphs are correct:

1) The graph of the function with the maximum at the proton gives the probability that the electron is inside small ball-like region of volume [itex]\Delta V[/itex] of physical space located in a distance [itex]r[/itex] divided by that volume: [itex]f_1(r) = \frac{\Delta p}{\Delta V} [/itex].

2) The graph with the maximum around the Bohr radius gives the probability that the electron is inside a shell of radius [itex]r[/itex] divided by the thickness of the shell: [itex]f_1(r) =\frac{\Delta p}{\Delta r}.[/itex]

It turns out that for the first psi - function of the hydrogen atom,

[tex]
f_1(r) = Ce^{-2r/a_{\mathrm{B}}}
[/tex]

[tex]
f_2(r) = 4\pi r^2 f_1(r) = C4\pi r^2 e^{-2r/a_{\mathrm{B}}}.
[/tex]

where [itex]C[/itex] is a normalization constant and [itex]a_{\mathrm{B}}[/itex] is the Bohr radius.

Related to What are the differences between the two graphs of electron probability density?

1. What is electron probability density?

Electron probability density refers to the likelihood of finding an electron in a specific region of space around an atom or molecule.

2. How is electron probability density calculated?

Electron probability density is calculated using mathematical equations derived from quantum mechanics, such as the Schrödinger equation.

3. What factors affect electron probability density?

The main factors that affect electron probability density are the energy level of the electron, the shape and orientation of the atomic or molecular orbital, and the presence of other nearby electrons.

4. Why is electron probability density important in chemistry?

Electron probability density is important in chemistry because it helps us understand the behavior of atoms and molecules, including their chemical and physical properties.

5. How does electron probability density relate to electron configuration?

Electron probability density is closely related to electron configuration, as it helps determine the distribution of electrons in different energy levels and orbitals within an atom or molecule.