Probability vs radial density-confusion

In summary, there is a confusion about why the radial density is used instead of the probability itself when discussing the most probable radius to find an electron in the $1s$ orbital. While the first approach, using probability, gives the incorrect answer of $r=0$, the second approach of extremising the radial density gives the correct answer of the Bohr radius. This is because the most probable position is not the same as the most probable radius due to the increase in area of a sphere with radius.
cr7einstein
Hi everyone;

A very stupid confusion here. When we want to talk about the most probable radius to find the electron in $1s$ orbital, why do we talk about the radial density and not the probability itself? For instance, the probability of finding the the electron at a radial distance $r$ is($\rho$ being the square modulus of the radial part of wavefunction):

$$dP=\rho(r)dV=\rho(r)4\pi r^2dr=\rho '(r)dr$$, since the electron can be anywhere in the shell at radius $r$. Now, the probability of finding electron is maximum when $$dP/dr=0$$right? Isn't that the condition for maxima? But that gives $$r=0$$, i.e. the nucleus. Now I know that this is wrong, I'm supposed to get the Bohr radius.

However, and we all know this, extremising $$\rho'(r)$$ i.e. the radial density gives the correct answer.

What I don't understand is, why am I wrong the first way? After all, maximising(okay, extremising) anything is to put the first derivative to zero, right? Then what am I missing here?I can 'see' that this is wrong because $$dP/dr=0$$ means my radial density is zero, which is a little absurd, but that is not a good argument at all.

In a nutshell, why do we extremise the RADIAL DENSITY, and NOT PROBABILITY while finding the maximum probability? If we were to tell the most probable radius where this DENSITY is maximum, then I'd be fine with the second way. But if we were to find the greatest probability itself, isn't the second approach counter intuitive?

I know I am missing something very subtle; please point it out to me. Thanks in advance!

PS: I read up similar questions here, bu I feel my question hasn't exactly been answered in those.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the radial part of the wave function that you used?

The most probable position (the center) isn't the same as the most probable radius because the area of a sphere increases with radius.

1. What is probability vs radial density-confusion?

Probability and radial density-confusion refer to two different approaches to understanding the behavior of particles in a physical system. Probability focuses on the likelihood of a particle being in a certain location, while radial density-confusion looks at the distribution of particles within a given volume.

2. How are probability and radial density-confusion related?

Probability and radial density-confusion are related in that they both provide information about the behavior of particles in a physical system. However, they approach this information in different ways, with probability focusing on individual particles and radial density-confusion looking at the overall distribution of particles.

3. Which approach is more useful in studying physical systems?

Both probability and radial density-confusion have their own advantages and can be useful in studying physical systems. Probability is often used to describe the behavior of individual particles, while radial density-confusion can provide a more comprehensive understanding of the system as a whole.

4. How do scientists use probability and radial density-confusion in their research?

Scientists use probability and radial density-confusion in a variety of ways in their research. For example, probability is commonly used in statistical analysis and to make predictions about the behavior of particles in a system. Radial density-confusion is often used in the study of liquids and gases, as well as in the analysis of x-ray and neutron scattering data.

5. How do probability and radial density-confusion impact our understanding of the physical world?

Probability and radial density-confusion are important tools in understanding the behavior of particles in the physical world. By providing information about the likelihood of particles being in certain locations and their distribution within a system, these approaches help scientists make predictions and draw conclusions about the behavior of matter and energy in the universe.