Calculating Mass and Volumetric Flow of Nitrobenzene: Homework Solutions

• Thread starter XBOX999
  • Start date
In summary, the specific gravity of nitrobenzene is 1.20. To calculate the mass in kg of 250 litres of nitrobenzene, multiply the specific gravity by the volume, resulting in a mass of 300 kg. To calculate the volumetric flow in mL/min corresponding to a mass flow of 30 lbm/h of nitrobenzene, use the equation v=m/p and obtain a flow of 183.33 ml/min. To calculate the density of a mixture composed of 20 litres of nitrobenzene and 3 ft^3 of benzene (SG = 0.879), use the equation SG=p/pref and the given values to obtain the total mass and volume
XBOX999

Homework Statement

The specific gravity of nitrobenzene is 1.20.
a) Calculate the mass in kg of 250 litres of nitrobenzene.
b) Calculate the volumetric flow in mL/min corresponding to a mass flow of 30 lbm/h of nitrobenzene.
c) Calculate the density of a mixture composed of 20 litres of nitrobenzene and 3 ft^3 of benzene (SG = 0.879), by supposing that the volume of the mixture is the sum of the volume of the two substances.

Homework Equations

SG=p/pref
v=m/p

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I got 1.2*250=300 kg
b) I got v= 183.33 ml/min
C) I do not know how to solve it
I find 3ft^3= 84.950
and I do not how to solve it?Please help me

Physics news on Phys.org
Mix density = total kg / total liters (or total lbs/ total cu ft). Figure out both totals, then divide.

a) Your calculation for the mass of 250 litres of nitrobenzene is correct. Good job!

b) To calculate the volumetric flow, we can use the formula v = m/p, where v is volumetric flow, m is mass flow, and p is density. We can first convert 30 lbm/h to kg/s by multiplying by 0.453592 (1 lbm = 0.453592 kg) and then dividing by 3600 (1 hour = 3600 seconds). This gives us a mass flow of 0.00333 kg/s. Then, using the specific gravity of nitrobenzene, we can calculate the density as 1.2 * 1000 kg/m^3 = 1200 kg/m^3. Plugging these values into the formula, we get v = 0.00333/1200 = 2.78 x 10^-6 m^3/s. To convert this to mL/min, we can multiply by 60000 (1 min = 60 seconds) and then by 1000 (1 m^3 = 1000 L). This gives us a volumetric flow of 0.167 mL/min.

c) To calculate the density of the mixture, we can use the formula SG = p/pref. We know the specific gravity of benzene is 0.879, so we can rearrange the formula to solve for p (density). We get p = SG * pref = 0.879 * 1000 kg/m^3 = 879 kg/m^3. Now, we can use the formula v = m/p to calculate the volume of the mixture. We have 20 L of nitrobenzene, which has a density of 1200 kg/m^3, and 3 ft^3 of benzene, which has a density of 879 kg/m^3. We can convert 3 ft^3 to m^3 by multiplying by 0.0283168 (1 ft^3 = 0.0283168 m^3). This gives us a total volume of 20 L + 0.085 m^3 = 20.085 m^3. Now, we can plug these values into the formula v = m/p to solve for the mass of the mixture. We get m = 20.085 * 1200 + 0.

1. What kind of help do you need?

I am a scientist, so I can provide assistance in various scientific fields such as biology, chemistry, physics, etc. Please let me know specifically what you need help with.

2. Can you help me with my experiment or research project?

Yes, I can definitely offer my expertise and knowledge to help you with your experiment or research project. Please provide me with more details about your project so I can assist you better.

3. How much will your help cost me?

As a scientist, I am passionate about sharing my knowledge and helping others in the scientific community. Therefore, my help is completely free of charge. I am happy to assist you with any questions or problems you may have.

4. Can you explain complex scientific concepts in an easy-to-understand way?

Yes, as a scientist, I have experience in communicating complex ideas and theories in a simplified manner. I can break down complex concepts and explain them in a way that is easy for you to understand.

5. Can you provide sources or references to support your help?

Of course, I can provide you with credible sources and references to support any information or help that I provide. I believe in using evidence-based research to back up my statements and advice.