Relativistic Mechanics: Answers to Exam Questions

In summary, the conversation discusses a question involving cosmic ray protons colliding with protons in the Earth's atmosphere and producing a third particle. The question asks for an estimation of the maximum energy of the particle produced and a possible particle. The answer suggests the most common particle produced is a pion with a mass of 140 MeV. It also provides a formula for calculating the maximum pion momentum in the center of mass system and how to Lorentz transform it to the lab system. The gamma of the center of mass system is also mentioned as a factor in the calculation.
Beer-monster
Hi

I'm revising for a perticle physics exam, but am having some trouble with some past paper questions involving relativity and reactions.

The one that confused me the most was

" A cosmic ray proton of energy 10^12 eV strikes a proton in the Earth’s
atmosphere. A third particle is produced. Estimate the maximum energy of a particle that might be produced from the collision, and suggest a possible particle."

I tried to work it out by equation the invariant mass to the total mass of the products since the condition has to be met for the reaction to take place.

I'd earlier worked out that the invariant mass for a particle colliding with a stationbary particle of equal mass was.

[tex] M = 2m^2 + \frac{2Em}{c^2} [/tex]

Since the product mass is 2m is would stand to reason that the mass of the third particle is 2Em/c^2. But I don't get the right answer when I plug in the numbers (right outta the databook).

Another question that bugged me was that a photon was incident on a stationary proton with just the threshold energy. Describe the motion of the particles.

I know the both move off together in the direction of the incident photon but I don't remember why? Also is calcuating the energy and momentum merely a matter of uysing the standard formula (with the gamma factor)?

These are probably easy problems, but I can't find any help in my notes (I seem to be missing some). Can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
" A cosmic ray proton of energy 10^12 eV strikes a proton in the Earth’s
atmosphere. A third particle is produced. Estimate the maximum energy of a particle that might be produced from the collision, and suggest a possible particle."
The most common particle produced is a pion (m=140 MeV).
The cm energy is W^2=2M_p*E, where E=1000 GeV.
The energies are so large, you can find the maximum pion cm momentum by p_pi=(1/2)W.
Then Lorentz transform this to the lab system.
The gamma of the cm system is gamma=E/(W).

Last edited:

1. What is relativistic mechanics?

Relativistic mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects at speeds that are comparable to the speed of light. It is based on the theory of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion.

2. What are the key principles of relativistic mechanics?

The key principles of relativistic mechanics are the constancy of the speed of light, the relativity of simultaneity, and the equivalence of mass and energy. These principles form the basis of the theory of relativity and help to explain the behavior of objects at high speeds.

3. How is relativistic mechanics different from classical mechanics?

Relativistic mechanics differs from classical mechanics in that it takes into account the effects of high speeds and the non-uniformity of time and space. Classical mechanics is only accurate at low speeds, while relativistic mechanics can accurately describe the behavior of objects at any speed.

4. What are some applications of relativistic mechanics?

Relativistic mechanics has many practical applications, including in the fields of particle physics, astrophysics, and engineering. It is used to study the behavior of subatomic particles, the structure of the universe, and the design of spacecraft and satellites.

5. How is relativistic mechanics tested and verified?

Relativistic mechanics has been extensively tested and verified through experiments, observations, and technological advancements. Some of the most notable tests include the Michelson-Morley experiment, which demonstrated the constancy of the speed of light, and the Large Hadron Collider, which has confirmed the predictions of relativistic mechanics in the study of particle collisions.