Help Making A Matrix in Latex?

In summary, the conversation is about creating a square matrix in Latex with 1's starting from the bottom left corner and ending at the top right corner on the opposite diagonal. The person is having trouble finding resources to help them create this specific type of matrix and is looking for assistance.
azdang
Help Making A Matrix in Latex??

Hi, I need to make an nxn square matrix using Latex with 1's starting in the bottom left all the way up to the top right on that sort of opposite diagonal. I can't figure out to do it. Can anyone help? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi azdang! :smile:

See http://www.physics.udel.edu/~dubois/lshort2e/node56.html#SECTION00850000000000000000 :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi Tiny Tin, thanks for the website. I have a few websites that I look at often for Latex help, but I haven't come across anything helpful. I have no trouble making normal diagonal matrices, but I don't know how to only get elements in positions [tex]a_{(n,1)},a_{(n-1,2)},a_{(n-2,3)},...a_{(1,n)}[/tex].

And I don't want any vertical dots or anything because all other elements are zero. The only place I would want dots would be on this reverse diagonal in between elements [tex]a_{n,1}[/tex] and [tex]a_{1,n}[/tex] to indicate that \lambda is along this diagonal.

azdang said:
Hi Tiny Tin, thanks for the website. I have a few websites that I look at often for Latex help, but I haven't come across anything helpful. I have no trouble making normal diagonal matrices, but I don't know how to only get elements in positions [tex]a_{(n,1)},a_{(n-1,2)},a_{(n-2,3)},...a_{(1,n)}[/tex]

:rolleyes:
look at the link!​

1. How do I create a matrix in Latex?

To create a matrix in Latex, you can use the \begin{matrix} \end{matrix} environment. Within this environment, you can specify the number of rows and columns you want in your matrix and enter the elements of the matrix in a row-by-row format.

2. How do I add brackets to my matrix in Latex?

To add brackets to your matrix in Latex, you can use the \left[ \right] command. This will automatically add brackets to your matrix. You can also use other bracket symbols such as parentheses or curly brackets by specifying them in the command.

3. Can I change the alignment of my matrix in Latex?

Yes, you can change the alignment of your matrix in Latex. By default, Latex will center-align the elements in the matrix. However, you can use the \begin{matrix}[r] \end{matrix} environment to right-align the elements or \begin{matrix}[l] \end{matrix} to left-align them.

4. How do I add labels or captions to my matrix in Latex?

To add labels or captions to your matrix in Latex, you can use the \label{label_name} \caption{caption_text} commands. These will allow you to reference the matrix in your document and add a caption below the matrix. You can also use the \tag{tag_text} command to add tags to individual rows or columns within the matrix.

5. Are there any packages or tools that can help with making a matrix in Latex?

Yes, there are several packages and tools available that can help with making a matrix in Latex. Some popular options include the amsmath package, which provides additional matrix formatting options, and online matrix generators such as latex-tables.com or matrixmaker-plus.com. You can also find various Latex tutorials and guides online that can help with creating and customizing matrices.