Conquering the Paper and Pen Challenge: A Physics-Based Solution

In summary, the challenge is to remove a sheet of paper from under a standing pen without the pen falling. The pen is only allowed to be touched with 2 fingers and the paper must be removed using physics. It is suggested to use heat transfer or sleight of hand to accomplish this task, but a possible solution is to place the paper on the floor and remove it from under the pen while it is standing on a table.
kimura
Hello ! My friend challenged me to remove a sheet that is under a standing pen, without the pen falling. I can only use 2 finger and i can only touch the paper. Do you know a way to do this ? (he said that I have to use physics)

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the time-factor? If no time is specified and you remove the paper and the pen subsequently falls (even a fraction of a second later) you have done what was required.

The pen is supposed to stay standing.

Did he give you a precise definition of "remove"?

Got a match? :devil:

There's a good chance fire won't solve this problem. If the pen conducts heat well enough, it might prevent the paper around it from burning by conducting the necessary heat away from it.

Is this somehow similar to the "Cheers!" episode in which Norm puts a hat over a mug of beer and bets Cliff he can drink the beer without removing the hat. After Cliff accepts the bet, Norm gets under the bar and makes sucking noises like he's drinking the beer. Cliff says, "You didn't drink the beer." and lifts up the hat. Immediately Norm grabs the beer and drinks it.

Can someone else hold the pen while you remove the paper?

How on Earth do you get a pen to stand up in the first place? :confused:

Danger said:
How on Earth do you get a pen to stand up in the first place? :confused:

For a minute there I thought I was the only idiot who couldn't picture this! :biggrin:

Bobbadillio said:
There's a good chance fire won't solve this problem. If the pen conducts heat well enough, it might prevent the paper around it from burning by conducting the necessary heat away from it.

:confused:

phyzmatix said:
For a minute there I thought I was the only idiot who couldn't picture this! :biggrin:

I assume the pen has a cap with a flat surface.

If the paper is a slippery playing card overhanging the edge of a table and you are able to give it a very quick snap, who knows? The more massive the pen and the larger the cap, the easier this might be.

Make some magic motion with your hands around the pen. Then tell your friend the paper around the pen is gone and the pen is standing on the table. He won't believe you and lift up the pen. Then you grab the paper. Done! :P

kimura said:
The pen is supposed to stay standing.
If you stand a pen on its point, it will fall over in about 15 seconds, due to the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, if I recall correctly the standing pencil problem in my QM course..

Nick89 said:
Make some magic motion with your hands around the pen. Then tell your friend the paper around the pen is gone and the pen is standing on the table. He won't believe you and lift up the pen. Then you grab the paper. Done! :P
This is actually a perfectly valid solution. :approve:

Leave an edge of the paper hanging over the edge of the table.
Grab the overhanging edge in one hand.
Use your other hand to "chop" the paper between your hand and the table, pulling the paper out so fast that the pen stays stading.

i don't think you just have to use physics for this, but you can use semantics. stand the pen on a tabletop. place the sheet of paper on the floor 'under the standing pen'.. then remove the sheet of paper. mission accomplished, the pen is still standing.

JAG. said:
i don't think you just have to use physics for this, but you can use semantics. stand the pen on a tabletop. place the sheet of paper on the floor 'under the standing pen'.. then remove the sheet of paper. mission accomplished, the pen is still standing.
Good one. Though it depends on who gets to set the demo up. If he'll grant you the privilege then you can rig it that way.

But if there were money riding on it I doubt he'd let you do the setup.

1. What is the Paper and Pen Challenge?

The Paper and Pen Challenge is a popular physics-based puzzle that involves using only paper and a pen to create a structure that can support the weight of a book or other object. It requires critical thinking, problem-solving skills, and knowledge of basic physics principles.

2. What is the purpose of the Paper and Pen Challenge?

The purpose of the Paper and Pen Challenge is to encourage individuals to think creatively and use their knowledge of physics to solve a real-world problem. It also promotes teamwork and collaboration as the challenge can be completed in groups.

3. What are the key physics principles involved in the Paper and Pen Challenge?

The key physics principles involved in the Paper and Pen Challenge include balance, stability, weight distribution, and structural integrity. These principles are essential in creating a structure that can support the weight of an object without collapsing.

4. What are some tips for successfully completing the Paper and Pen Challenge?

Some tips for successfully completing the Paper and Pen Challenge include starting with a stable base, using triangles for added support, and distributing the weight evenly throughout the structure. It is also helpful to experiment with different folds and techniques to find the most effective solution.

5. How can the Paper and Pen Challenge be applied in real life?

The Paper and Pen Challenge can be applied in real life situations where limited resources and creative problem-solving are required. It can also be used as a team-building exercise or in educational settings to teach physics concepts and critical thinking skills.