Complex pulley system problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a pulley system with two different radii and the question of where to start in solving the problem. A hint is provided about the relationship between tension in ropes with the same radius, and the principle is then applied to find the relationship between tensions in the given pulley system. The final question addresses the condition for equilibrium and no motion in a specific pulley.
yopy
23jrcww.jpg

my problem is the one shown above. In all honesty i do not know how this system works since a pulley with two radii's has two different cables running through it. Does anyone know where i need to start at with this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi yopy! :smile:

Hint: if A and B were at the same radius, then the tension in ropes 1 and 2 would be the same … can you see why?

ok, now use the same principle to find the actual relationship between the tensions. :wink:

From he figure, I presume that pulleys 1 and 2 are combined one with radii 100 mm and h300 mm. If TA and TB are the tensions in rope A and B, then what should be the condition so that the pulley system 1 and 2 will remain in equilibrium?
What should be the condition that the pulley 4 shall have neither rotational motion nor the translational motion.

1. How do I determine the mechanical advantage of a complex pulley system?

The mechanical advantage of a pulley system is equal to the number of sections of rope that support the weight being lifted. For example, if a system has three sections of rope supporting the weight, the mechanical advantage would be 3.

2. What is the difference between a fixed and a movable pulley in a complex pulley system?

A fixed pulley is attached to a fixed point and only changes the direction of the force applied, while a movable pulley is attached to the load and changes both the direction and the magnitude of the force applied.

3. How do I calculate the effort force needed to lift a certain weight in a complex pulley system?

The effort force needed is equal to the weight being lifted divided by the mechanical advantage of the pulley system. For example, if the weight is 100 pounds and the mechanical advantage is 4, the effort force needed would be 25 pounds.

4. Can a complex pulley system have a mechanical advantage greater than 6?

Yes, a complex pulley system can have a mechanical advantage greater than 6. This can be achieved by using multiple pulleys in combination, such as a block and tackle system.

5. How do I determine the direction of the force applied in a complex pulley system?

In a complex pulley system, the direction of the force applied will always be in the opposite direction of the movement of the load. For example, if the load is being lifted upwards, the force applied will be downwards.