How to Calculate Mass in a Binary System with Given Orbital Period and Radius?

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework question involving calculating the circumference and radius of an orbit using given information. The conversation also mentions an equation and assumptions made to solve the problem. One person provides help and confirms that the work done so far looks correct.
Lengalicious

Homework Statement

See attachment.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so for Qd) my attempt was:
d = vt = 75x10^3 * (2*2.8*86400*365) = 1.32x10^13 m, (circumference of orbit)
because the star periodically shifts from red to blue shifted frequencies every 2.8 years so I guess the full orbit to be 2*2.8 years.

Then 2∏r = 1.32x10^13, -> r = 2.1x10^12m?

Now for Qe) All I could figure is that the relevant eqn is (2∏/T)2 = G*(ma + mb)/(ra + rb)3

But with the information I have, 1stly from the assumpt that ma >> mb I can say that:

(2∏/T)2 = G*(ma)/(ra + rb)3 right?

Considering X-major is ma. Now I can rearrange for the mass but I still have missing information, I just have radius of the orbit for x-minor, but not x-major. I even have the orbital period. Just not ra.

Can someone give me a helping hand here, how do I find ra? Also have I done everything thus far correctly?

Attachments

• Q1.png
    Q1.png
    19.3 KB · Views: 433
Physics news on Phys.org
Your work looks correct to me.

Under the assumption that ma >> mb, you have ra << rb. So, I think you can safely neglect ra relative to rb.

Lol that does make sense, silly me, thanks. Hopefully that's correct. :)

1. What is a binary system in terms of calculations?

A binary system in terms of calculations is a system that uses only two digits, typically 0 and 1, to represent numbers. This is also known as the base-2 numbering system, as opposed to the more commonly used base-10 system.

2. How do you convert numbers from base-10 to base-2 in binary system calculations?

To convert numbers from base-10 to base-2 in binary system calculations, you can use the repeated division method. This involves dividing the base-10 number by 2 and writing down the remainder. Then, divide the quotient by 2 and write down the remainder again. Continue this process until the quotient is 0, and then write the remainders in reverse order to get the binary representation of the number.

3. What is the purpose of using binary system calculations in computer science?

The purpose of using binary system calculations in computer science is because computers use transistors, which can only be in two states: on or off. The binary system allows for simpler and more efficient communication between the hardware and software of a computer.

4. How do you perform basic arithmetic operations in binary system calculations?

In binary system calculations, basic arithmetic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division are performed in a similar way to base-10 calculations. The main difference is that when adding or subtracting, if the sum or difference is greater than 1, you have to carry or borrow a 1 to the next digit. For multiplication and division, there are specific rules and algorithms to follow.

5. What are some real-world applications of binary system calculations?

Binary system calculations are used in various real-world applications, including computer programming, data storage and transmission, cryptography, and electronic devices such as calculators and digital clocks. They are also used in scientific and engineering fields for data analysis and signal processing.