Solving Binary Star Problems: Tips & Strategies

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving binary stars and the steps to solve it. The conversation mentions finding the orbital velocity using the observed maximum velocity shift and using the formula r = Pv / 2 pi to determine the separation between the stars. It also addresses the angle of inclination and how to use Kepler's third law to find the semi-major axis.
tarkin

Homework Statement

http://prntscr.com/dsd7ea

Image attached

Homework Equations

For circular orbit, r = Pv / 2 pi , Where P = orbital period and v=orbital velocity

r' = r sini , where i is unknown angle to plane of sky.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I'm really not getting these binary problems at all.

I would start by finding v, but how is this from them "the observed maximum velocity shift of 26.1 km/s" ?
Then I would use r = Pv / 2 pi , and the separation would just be 2r as they are identical stars, is this right?
I don't know where to start with the angle of inclination part.

Also, in my notes, talking about binaries in general, it says that r1 + r2 = a
I think that's r1= radius of star 1, r2 = radius of star 2, a = true semi-major orbital axis, but I don't understand this, how could the 2 radii total the semi-major axis? Surely it would be 2a if anything?
And talking about the semi-major axis, does the system actually have a semi-major axis? I thought there was just one for each star.

Really lost here, any help would be appreicated, thanks!

Attachments

• binarystarq.jpg
    binarystarq.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 409
Physics news on Phys.org
You'll have to consider the masses of the stars to get the orbital velocity. The period and the radial velocity alone are not sufficient.

You can consider the semi-major axis of each star, or the semi-major axis of the distance between the stars. But for a circular orbit with identical masses, you can just take the radius of the circle as semi-major axis of each star. This is NOT the distance between the stars!

Try using Kepler's third law to find ##a##.

Thanks guys, it was Kepler's 3rd that I needed.

1. How do I determine the orbital parameters for a binary star system?

To determine the orbital parameters of a binary star system, you will need to measure the orbital period, the semi-major axis, and the eccentricity of the system. These can be calculated using Kepler's third law, which states that the square of the orbital period is proportional to the cube of the semi-major axis.

2. What are the challenges in solving binary star problems?

Solving binary star problems can be challenging due to the complex nature of these systems. Some of the challenges include accurately measuring the orbital parameters, accounting for any third or fourth bodies in the system, and dealing with the effects of stellar evolution and mass transfer.

3. What are some strategies for solving binary star problems?

One strategy is to use a combination of observational data and theoretical models to determine the orbital parameters and other characteristics of the system. Another approach is to analyze the light curve of the system, which can provide information about the relative sizes and temperatures of the two stars.

4. How do I account for the effects of mass transfer in a binary star system?

Mass transfer occurs when one star in a binary system transfers material to its companion. This can have a significant impact on the orbital parameters and the evolution of the stars. To account for this, you will need to consider the rate of mass transfer and how it affects the overall dynamics of the system.

5. Can I use binary star systems to study stellar evolution?

Yes, binary star systems can provide valuable insights into stellar evolution. By studying the properties and behavior of the two stars in a binary system, scientists can gain a better understanding of how stars evolve over time and how they interact with each other in a binary system.