Understanding the Shape of Magnetic Fields: Insights on Single Moving Particles

In summary, the conversation discusses the shape and behavior of magnetic fields around different objects, such as wires with current, solenoids, and magnets. It is mentioned that the magnetic field around a single moving particle can be described as circular lines of force, with the strength increasing as the particle approaches and decreasing as it recedes. The concept of the Meissner effect is also brought up, where magnetism does not penetrate below the surface of a superconductor.
uq_civediv
i know how the magnetic field is shaped around a wire with current,
and in the case of a solenoid,
and in a bar magnet or U-magnet
but that is the sum of all the magnetic fields of the charges moving through them.

what i still don't know is the shape of the magnetic field surrounding a single moving particle, any comments to that ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Magnetic energy is not simply concentrated within coil windings, the existence of windings increases magnetic energy per current.

The increased magnetism at windings is not due to higher electron velocity. Ion migration velocity is a function of volts, not bends versus straight wire.

bad wording on my part maybe

i mean that for a wire with a current the magnetic field can be described using lines of force/flux going around the wire in circles,
in a solenoid the lines go through and to the other end,
when speaking of magnets the lines go from the north pole to the south

what I'm saying i still don't know how the lines would be like around a single moving particle

You can think of them as circles going around the path of the particle, with the magnitude of the field increasing as the particle approaches and decreasing as the particle recedes.

What about the Meissner effect? Magnetism does not penetrate below the skin of a superconductor. In other words, the coil wires of a superconductive magnet are holes in a magnetic field.

1. What are magnetic fields?

Magnetic fields are regions in space where magnetic forces act on charged particles. These fields are created by moving electric charges and can be observed through their effects on other charged particles.

2. How do magnetic fields affect single moving particles?

Magnetic fields can exert forces on single moving particles, causing them to change direction or speed. This is known as the Lorentz force, which is the result of the interaction between the magnetic field and the particle's electric charge.

3. How can we understand the shape of magnetic fields?

The shape of magnetic fields can be visualized using magnetic field lines, which show the direction and strength of the field at different points in space. These lines are shaped like loops and can be mapped out using magnetic field detectors.

4. What insights can we gain from studying the shape of magnetic fields?

Studying the shape of magnetic fields can provide insights into the behavior of charged particles in different environments. It can also help us understand the underlying mechanisms of magnetic fields and their effects on various systems.

5. How is the shape of magnetic fields relevant in scientific research?

The shape of magnetic fields is relevant in many fields of scientific research, including astrophysics, plasma physics, and materials science. It plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles in space, the dynamics of fusion reactions, and the properties of magnetic materials.