Calculate Tension in Transverse Wave on String: Linear Density 1.87x10-2kg/m

In summary, a transverse wave traveling on a string is described by the displacement y of a particle from its equilibrium position, given by y = (0.0221 m) sin (28.9t - 2.20x), where the phase angle is in radians, t is in seconds, and x is in meters. The linear density of the string is 1.87 x 10-2 kg/m. Using the formula v = sqrt(F/d), where v is the velocity of the wave, F is the tension in the string, and d is the linear density, we can calculate the tension in the string from the known values of wave number and angular frequency.
wesochick6
A transverse wave is traveling on a string. The displacement y of a particle from its equilibrium position is given by y = (0.0221 m) sin (28.9t - 2.20x). Note that the phase angle 28.9t - 2.20x is in radians, t is in seconds, and x is in meters. The linear density of the string is 1.87 x 10-2 kg/m. What is the tension in the string?

I;m just not sure how density factors into any of this, I'm not sure i need help to solve the problem, just an equation which relates density to waves.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, welcome to PF. From the equation given to you, you have the wave number and the angular frequency. From these two quantities, you can find the velocity of the wave. Velocity of a wave on a string is related to the tension of the string. Do you know these relations?

I think an essential formula here is:
v=sqrt(F/d)
where: v-velocity of a wave, d-linerar density of the string and F is of course the tension of string.

heh... It's my firs post on this forum. :)

Yeah, that's one of them. Now you need the one for wave number - velocity.

From the second part of the equation which was given we can calculate:
2*pi*f=28,9
2*pi/l=2,20
where f-frequency of the wave, l-lenght of the wave, pi is 3,1415... (how can I write formulas, equations in a 'nice' way?)

then we need to use:
v=l*f
and we can calculate velocity of the wave.
Of course, we used the relevant units.

Thanks so much i am going to try to work through it and see how it goes... hopefull better than before

1. How is tension calculated in a transverse wave on a string?

The tension in a transverse wave on a string can be calculated using the formula T = μ * v^2, where T is the tension, μ is the linear density of the string, and v is the velocity of the wave.

2. What is linear density and how does it affect tension in a transverse wave?

Linear density refers to the mass of a string per unit length. It affects tension in a transverse wave because the greater the linear density, the greater the tension needed to produce a specific wave velocity.

3. How is linear density measured in this calculation?

The linear density in this calculation is measured in kg/m. This means that for every meter of string, there is a certain amount of mass, measured in kilograms.

4. Can tension be calculated in units other than kg/m?

Yes, tension can be calculated in other units such as g/cm or lb/ft. The key is to ensure that the units of linear density and velocity are consistent with the units used for tension.

5. How does tension affect the speed of a transverse wave on a string?

The tension in a string directly affects the speed of a transverse wave. As tension increases, the speed of the wave increases. This is because a higher tension allows for a faster transfer of energy through the string, resulting in a higher wave velocity.