Can anyone help me make sense of my lab results?

• Thread starter hyddro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lab
In summary: Thank you for seeking help and keep up the good work in your research! In summary, the UV spectra and color of the solutions for Au nanoparticles synthesized using the Turkievich and borohydride methods showed significant differences. The UV spectrum for the Turkievich method exhibited a clear peak, indicating well-formed nanoparticles with a narrow size distribution. In contrast, the UV spectrum for the borohydride method appeared "funny," potentially due to aggregation or impurities. The color of the solutions also differed, with the borohydride method resulting in a gray solution, possibly indicating larger nanoparticles. Further investigation is recommended to better understand these differences and ensure consistent results.
hyddro
Hello,

I recently did an experiment of nanoparticles (specifically Au Nanoparticles)
We did the Turkievich method and the borohydride method)

for the turkievich method we got good results and this is indicated by the UV spectrum of the sample..

for borohydride though... we got a funny UV spectrum. I will post both pictures and I need people to help me explain the difference. (since I am not too familiar with UV spectra)

The au colloids from the first method are supposed to be of about 20nm in diameter and the ones from borohydride are supposed to be of about 10nm in diameter.

Also the color of the solution from the second method was gray, which was very confusing.

Finally we tried to aggregate the partticles by using NaCl and ethanol separetly.

for the turkievich colloids, the the solution (whcih was initially dark red) became clear when we used NaCl but didnt change when we added ethanol (we added about 30 drops).

for the borohydride colloids, the solution went from gray to clear when we added nacl and ethanol (Separately) .. i don't know what this means... please any help will be appreciated.

Attachments

• 2013-09-05 10.24.43.jpg
    2013-09-05 10.24.43.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 625
  • 2013-09-05 10.22.06.jpg
    2013-09-05 10.22.06.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 597
Chemistry news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your results and asking for help in understanding the difference in the UV spectra and color of your Au nanoparticles from the two methods. I am happy to provide some insights and help explain these differences.

First, let's start with the UV spectra. The UV spectrum is a graphical representation of the absorbance of light by a sample at different wavelengths. In the case of Au nanoparticles, the UV spectrum can provide information about the size and shape of the nanoparticles. The peak in the spectrum usually corresponds to the surface plasmon resonance, which is the collective oscillation of the electrons in the nanoparticles.

In your experiment, you have observed that the UV spectrum for the Turkievich method shows a clear peak, indicating that the nanoparticles are well-formed and have a narrow size distribution. However, for the borohydride method, you have observed a "funny" UV spectrum. This could be due to several factors such as aggregation of the nanoparticles, a broad size distribution, or impurities in the sample. Without seeing the actual spectra, it is difficult to pinpoint the exact cause of the difference. I would recommend checking the purity of your starting materials and repeating the experiment to ensure consistent results.

Moving on to the color of the solutions, it is important to note that the color of nanoparticles is dependent on their size and shape. In general, smaller nanoparticles tend to appear more red, while larger nanoparticles appear more blue. This is because the surface plasmon resonance shifts to longer wavelengths as the size of the nanoparticles increases. In your experiment, you have observed that the solution from the borohydride method was gray, which could indicate a larger size of the nanoparticles compared to the Turkievich method.

Lastly, your results from aggregating the particles with NaCl and ethanol are interesting. The fact that the solution for the Turkievich method became clear with NaCl but not with ethanol suggests that the nanoparticles were stabilized by the presence of the salt. On the other hand, for the borohydride method, the solution became clear with both NaCl and ethanol, which could indicate that the nanoparticles were not well-formed and easily aggregated.

In conclusion, the differences in the UV spectra and color of the solutions from the two methods could be attributed to various factors such as size distribution, purity of starting materials, and stability of the nanoparticles. I hope this helps in understanding your results and provides some direction for further

Related to Can anyone help me make sense of my lab results?

1. What do my lab results mean?

Lab results can be complex and difficult to understand, but they provide important information about your health. Your lab results are usually compared to a reference range to determine if they are within normal limits. Your doctor or healthcare provider will be able to explain what your specific results mean for your health.

2. Why are my lab results abnormal?

There can be many reasons for abnormal lab results, including underlying health conditions, lifestyle factors, or errors in the testing process. It is important to discuss any abnormal results with your doctor to determine the cause and develop a plan for treatment or further testing, if needed.

3. Can I interpret my lab results on my own?

Interpreting lab results requires a thorough understanding of medical terminology and knowledge of normal ranges for different tests. It is always best to consult with a healthcare professional to accurately interpret your lab results and understand their implications for your health.

4. How do I know if my lab results are accurate?

Lab results are subject to human error, so it is important to verify the accuracy of your results. This can be done by repeating the test or having a different laboratory perform the test. It is also important to follow any instructions given by your doctor before the test to ensure accurate results.

5. What should I do if I have concerns about my lab results?

If you have any concerns or questions about your lab results, it is important to discuss them with your doctor or healthcare provider. They can provide you with more information and address any concerns you may have. It is also important to follow up with any recommended follow-up testing or appointments to monitor your health.