Using HELIOS Code for Preparing Macroscopic XS in PARCS

In summary, The conversation discusses the use of the HELIOS code for preparing macroscopic XS to PARCS. It is mentioned that while many people use HELIOS, not many post about it on PF. HELIOS was developed by Scandpower, but is now owned by Studsvik. The preferred lattice code is CASMO, which can be linked to Studsvik's SIMULATE core simulator or AREVA's MICROBURN. One can obtain HELIOS from Studsvik for academic use, but it should be noted that CASMO does not support hexagonal geometry.
chivasorn
Hello all
Has anybody use HELIOS code yet? I need that in order to preparing macroscopic XS to PARCS.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Apparently plenty of people use Helios, but probably not too many post at PF.

As far as I remember, Helios was developed by Scandpower, but Studsvik bought (merged with) Scandpower in the mid 1990's. The preferred lattice code is Studsvik's CASMO, which can be linked to Studsvik's SIMULATE core simulator or AREVA's MICROBURN.

Last edited:
Hi Astronuc
Do you know how can I obtain HELIOS code? because I need that in order to link to PARCS.

chivasorn said:
Hi Astronuc
Do you know how can I obtain HELIOS code? because I need that in order to link to PARCS.
One can obtain HELIOS from Studsvik. I believe they have terms and conditions for academic use.
HELIOS Generalized Geometry Lattice Analysis
http://www.studsvik.com/index.php?p=ko&s=about_nuclear_fuel_analysis_software&t=helios&afw_lang=en

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Astronuc!

bear in mind that Studsvik's CASMO cannot support hexagonal geometry

1. What is HELIOS Code and how is it used for preparing macroscopic cross sections in PARCS?

HELIOS Code is a computer program used in nuclear engineering to calculate macroscopic cross sections, which are important parameters in nuclear reactor simulations. It uses data from nuclear libraries and performs calculations to generate macroscopic cross sections for various materials and isotopes. These cross sections can then be used in PARCS, another nuclear engineering code, to simulate and analyze the behavior of a nuclear reactor.

2. How does HELIOS Code calculate macroscopic cross sections?

HELIOS Code uses a combination of deterministic and stochastic methods to calculate macroscopic cross sections. It utilizes data from nuclear libraries, such as ENDF/B, to determine the nuclear reaction probabilities for various materials and isotopes. These probabilities are then used to calculate macroscopic cross sections for different energy groups.

3. What types of materials and isotopes can be used with HELIOS Code?

HELIOS Code can be used with a wide range of materials and isotopes commonly found in nuclear reactors. This includes fuel materials, such as uranium and plutonium, as well as structural materials, such as zirconium and stainless steel. It can also handle a variety of fission products and actinides.

4. Can HELIOS Code be used for different types of nuclear reactors?

Yes, HELIOS Code can be used for different types of nuclear reactors, including pressurized water reactors (PWRs), boiling water reactors (BWRs), and advanced reactor designs. It can also be used for both steady-state and transient simulations.

5. Is HELIOS Code user-friendly for beginners?

While HELIOS Code is a powerful tool for nuclear reactor simulations, it may not be the most user-friendly for beginners. It requires a strong understanding of nuclear physics and reactor behavior, as well as experience with programming and computer codes. However, there are resources and tutorials available to help beginners learn how to use HELIOS Code effectively.