How atheistic are you? How many gods do you NOT believe in?

• Thread starter FlexGunship
  • Start date
In summary: No.In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of religious beliefs and how they are often used to rate individuals. A poll is introduced regarding the number of gods one does not believe in, with a specific range given for various levels of belief. The conversation also touches on the idea of monotheism and polytheism within Christianity and the potential for a "NA" option in the poll. The conversation ends with a humorous twist about becoming a politician.

How many gods do you NOT believe in?

Votes: 21 60.0%

Votes: 3 8.6%

Votes: 3 8.6%

Votes: 8 22.9%

• Total voters
Borek said:
You are a victim of your own oversophistication.

A felony in 23 states.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have to agree with above. Given I dismiss the idea of a god(s) then I can't "not believe" in any of them. So for me it's a 0. But I'm not sure if I should vote as it would skew the results.

jarednjames said:
I have to agree with above. Given I dismiss the idea of a god(s) then I can't "not believe" in any of them. So for me it's a 0. But I'm not sure if I should vote as it would skew the results.

Grr... there's a difference between "believing xxxxx doesn't exist" and "not believing in xxxxx." If you claim you can fly, I can either "not believe it" or "believe you can't." They are different.

Flex getting angry... FLEX SMASH!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTTWWJwxItrqAcGJc7J3BXOYXPmjjyO5CDCRRs8CQPLf1mPmIS6.jpg

We could fix it by asking "how many gods do you lack belief in?"

I dismiss the whole notion of god(s), therefore there's nothing for me to believe / not believe.

To believe is to accept something - you believe in god, you accept there is a god.
To not believe is to reject something - you don't believe in god, you have entertained there may be one and said "nuh, no chance", for whatever reason that may be.

To dismiss it, I'm not even letting the possibility in. I'm not getting to the point of deciding to believe or not. In my case, I have no reason to even entertain the notion as there is absolutely zero evidence for it. To try to make such a choice on that basis would be ridiculous.

I'm not re-wording the "I don't believe" argument, I'm giving another option.

FlexGunship said:
A felony in 23 states.

:rofl:

@Borek: :rofl:

SO... anyone going to tackle the 69-gap?

jarednjames said:
I dismiss the whole notion of god(s), therefore there's nothing for me to believe / not believe.
So you lack belief. You don't disbelieve. Correct?

Evo said:

Correct.

jarednjames said:
Correct.

You are saying that a God might exist but you've seen no evidence?

Evo said:

Why does it make me think about 2nd amendment thread.

Ivan Seeking said:
You are saying that a God might exist but you've seen no evidence?
Lacking belief means you don't even bother to consider the possibility enough to disbelieve. You don't even consider it an option that it could exist.

Evo said:
Lacking belief means you don't even bother to consider the possibility enough to disbelieve. You don't even consider it an option that it could exist.

Thank you evo, couldn't have said it better myself.

The longer the thread, the more I think it should be deleted or moved to philosophy.

Borek said:
The longer the thread, the more I think it should be deleted or moved to philosophy.

No, please! The thread isn't doing anything wrong... its those silly forum members. They keep arguing about minutia. The thread itself has actually been very well-behaved!

Furthermore, I was told that it made an anonymous contribution to your favorite charity.

FlexGunship said:
No, please! The thread isn't doing anything wrong... its those silly forum members. They keep arguing about minutia. The thread itself has actually been very well-behaved!

Furthermore, I was told that it made an anonymous contribution to your favorite charity.

I think you'ld do a good diplomat. :biggrin:

Borek said:

Sorry, it doesn't meet the Phil guidelines.

Math Is Hard said:
Sorry, it doesn't meet the Phil guidelines.

I like the new Phil guidelines more than this thread. :biggrin:

This thread is lame. :-)

╔(σ_σ)╝ said:
This thread is lame. :-)

You have an interesting sense of humor, but I like it.

Borek said:

Because we all know, General Discussion is not the place for long threads :P

Evo said:
We could fix it by asking "how many gods do you lack belief in?"

That only fixes it if you can prove the existence of at least one god.

Otherwise, it is in the same "meaningless words" category as a variation on Bertrand Russell's standard example, "how many kings of the USA have been bald".

AlephZero said:
That only fixes it if you can prove the existence of at least one god.

Otherwise, it is in the same "meaningless words" category as a variation on Bertrand Russell's standard example, "how many kings of the USA have been bald".
You guys forgot how to have fun. Just enjoy the freaking irony of this thread. Have fun! :P

DanP said:
You guys forgot how to have fun. Just enjoy the freaking irony of this thread. Have fun! :P

"I don't do irony. I send my shirts to the laundry."
-- Scott Adams

nismaratwork said:
You have an interesting sense of humor, but I like it.

Why "but"? Shouldn't you say "and"?

"You have an interesting sense of humor, AND I like it."

What a curious distinction you've made!

Nismar, you seem to be very intelligent, but I like you.

"2869" for me. I'm a monotheist. I believe in myself.

FlexGunship said:
Why "but"? Shouldn't you say "and"?

"You have an interesting sense of humor, AND I like it."

What a curious distinction you've made!

Nismar, you seem to be very intelligent, but I like you.

Good point, you have a good sense of humor, AND I like it, and you. I can only plead a deep need for sleep!

And I just LOVE this thread. It breaks the surface tension. I use soap a lot to make bubbles.
I love bubbles. They are light, float away, break, the dross falls to the Earth and 0 remains.

I also think this can be a good way to think in abstracts by playing without hurting anyone. :biggrin:

nismaratwork said:
Good point, you have a good sense of humor, AND I like it, and you.

Geeze, dude, calm down... you're acting all, like, you want to hold hands, or something... pfffst...

From this:
Lacy33 said:
And I just LOVE this thread. It breaks the surface tension.
To this:
Lacy33 said:
I use soap a lot to make bubbles. I love bubbles.
In nothing but a single space-bar hit. Admirable if not mildly incomprehensible.

FlexGunship said:
Geeze, dude, calm down... you're acting all, like, you want to hold hands, or something... pfffst...

... I can't quit you... :biggrin:

nismaratwork said:
... I can't quit you... :biggrin:

I'm never gonna' give you up, Nismar. Never gonna' let you down.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRmsF0rUttc78I_cICMxne0wBg2TQ3aB5SSCDPdCZ-Yv2tLjhzY.jpg

FlexGunship said:
I'm never gonna' give you up, Nismar. Never gonna' let you down.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRmsF0rUttc78I_cICMxne0wBg2TQ3aB5SSCDPdCZ-Yv2tLjhzY.jpg

I hate you for putting Rick bloody Astley in my head. I have to go stick a coat-hanger up my nose now, and try to fish out, THE BAD SONG!...

... never going to turn around, and hurt you!

ARRRGH!

Is it just me, or are the poll results really interesting? Of the theistic crowd: 25% believe in one god, 25% believe in three gods, and 50% believe in ALLLLLLLL of the gods.

I mean, just imagine, you could invent a god and be like: "hey, I just invented this god--" and they would be like: "no way! Tell me about him so I can believe in him!"

FlexGunship said:
I mean, just imagine, you could invent a god and be like: "hey, I just invented this god--" and they would be like: "no way! Tell me about him so I can believe in him!"

Well strictly speaking, I was under the impression that's how it works anyway... :wink:

FlexGunship said:
From this:

To this:

In nothing but a single space-bar hit. Admirable if not mildly incomprehensible.

Yeah! Thank you. :smile: "mildly incomprehensible" is this like mild hot sauce? :biggrin:

We are going places! :rofl:
Love and laughter= light release.