How many pages can you read for free on google books?

In summary, the conversation discusses the limitations of viewing pages on Google Books for free. It is mentioned that the number of pages available varies for each book and there is no set rule for this. Some speculate that it may depend on the author or publisher. Additionally, it is noted that sometimes pages that were previously viewable may no longer be accessible. It is suggested that Google purposely limits free access to encourage purchasing the book or visiting a library.
ppppparker
How many pages can you read for free on a book that's on googlebooks? I mean how do they determine this, is it like a certain percentage of the book, then you have to buy it? How does it work? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Answer: I don't know how many pages they let you view, but I do know that they always throw me in a few pages early and cut me off at the page I wanted to view. :frown:

yup that happened to me too... there must be some set rule for this though, but it seems to vary from book to book (unless its based on how you click within the book?) I already looked around for an answer on google forums but can't find answer btw..

Each book is different.
I think it depends on the author / publisher how many pages they allow.
As axmls already said, there seems to be a telepathic robot on the page which forbids you to read the pages that you are interested in :-/
But not always, sometimes I was lucky and got what I was looking for.

Sometimes I look at a book that shows some pages on Google Books. The next day or a few days later, I look and I can now see other pages (but some pages I could view previously don't show). I don't think there is any percentage of a book Google allows one to view for free, but you could always ask them.

Likes JorisL
axmls said:
Answer: I don't know how many pages they let you view, but I do know that they always throw me in a few pages early and cut me off at the page I wanted to view. :frown:
Yeah, that is annoying and has happened to me a few times. But as I posted #5 a few moments ago, sometimes looking at the book later I managed to view the page I wanted.

When you do a search for something that is in the contents of some book, Google of course knows what you are looking for. They quite deliberately make sure that you can't access all of the pages you need. The purpose of Google Books is to tease you so that you go buy a book (or at least go to a library that has bought the book).

Likes Sophia

1. How many pages can I read for free on Google Books?

Currently, Google Books allows users to read up to 20% of a book for free. This means that if a book has 100 pages, you can read up to 20 pages without having to purchase the book. However, some books may have a lower percentage available for preview.

2. Do I need a Google account to read for free on Google Books?

Yes, you will need to have a Google account in order to access the free preview on Google Books. If you do not have a Google account, you can create one for free by visiting the Google sign up page.

3. Can I read entire books for free on Google Books?

No, you cannot read entire books for free on Google Books. The free preview feature only allows users to read a limited percentage of the book. To read the entire book, you will need to purchase it.

4. Are there any limitations to reading for free on Google Books?

Aside from the 20% limit on free previews, there may be some books that are not available for free preview on Google Books. This may be due to copyright restrictions or the publisher's decision.

5. Can I download the free preview pages on Google Books?

No, you cannot download the free preview pages on Google Books. The preview pages are only available for online reading and cannot be downloaded or saved for offline access.