Register to reply

Gravitational Field Strength due to a Uniform Rod

by Quarlep
Tags: field, gravitational, strength, uniform
Share this thread:
Quarlep
Jun16-14, 03:27 PM
P: 57
I am trying to learn Physics an dI am reading a booK about classical mechanics.I a stuck somewhere in there If you know a gravitational force to a uniform rod I saw there a x and dx Why we need them ?

Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists discuss quantum pigeonhole principle
First in-situ images of void collapse in explosives
The first supercomputer simulations of 'spin?orbit' forces between neutrons and protons in an atomic nucleus
mathman
Jun16-14, 03:40 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 6,037
You need to integrate the gravitational effects of infinitesimal lengths along the rod to get the total for the rod.
Nugatory
Jun16-14, 03:43 PM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 3,456
Quote Quote by Quarlep View Post
I am trying to learn Physics an dI am reading a booK about classical mechanics.I a stuck somewhere in there If you know a gravitational force to a uniform rod I saw there a x and dx Why we need them ?
That's part of the notation of calculus. If you'd tell us what the book was, we'd be certain... But chances are that they're dividing the rod into slices and using dx as the thickness of each slice and x as the position of the slice along the rod. Then the contribution of each slice can be approximated from Newton's inverse-square law and calculus provides the mathematical tools to add all the contributions up as the number of slices approaches infinity and the thickness of each slice approaches zero - and a proof that this process yields an exact answer.

Register to reply