Can You Move Someone Ten Feet Without Motors, Wheels, or Human Propulsion?

• Thread starter micron
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses different ways to move a person ten feet horizontally without using motors, human propulsion, or wheels, and without creating an elaborate setup. Suggestions include using a ramp, reducing friction with soap or other substances, using a bedsheet and fan, throwing bean bags for propulsion, using a greased cafeteria tray and fire extinguisher, and having a dog pull a person on a sled. Some suggestions involve using trickery or taking advantage of different forces such as wind or the rotation of the Earth. The conversation also touches on the possibility of using a fish tank or correctly interpreting the teacher's intentions.
micron
How do you:

Move a person at least ten feet in a horizontal direction(parrallel to the ground; measured in a straight line)without the use of the following:

Motors
Human Propultion
Wheels

And without creating a set that is more ellaborate (inclusive) than building a ramp and "sled" setup. by "sled" I mean a board or other surface to sit/stand/lay on with something on the bottom to reduce friction such as ice or soap.

I have thought a lot about it but I can't think of anything simple(which is one of the guidlines) that can be done, I believe that soap or something similar should be used to reduce friction, but I can't think of anything simpler than using a ramp.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why did you just create a copy of your other thread?

cookiemonster

It's not a copy, I reworded it, and no ones in the other forum.

I hate to break it to you, but the same people that are on that forum are on this one.

cookiemonster

CAN you use the ramp? Because you could use a ramp to have someone slide down with little flat mini-sleds (boards or flat shoes with pieces of teflon cloth like plumbers have) on their feet and have them slide down the ramp onto a path of marbles. Or are they calling marbles "wheels"? Can they go down a ramp onto dowels?

Well, since we got this thread, let's pretend the other one never existed.

If you can reduce the coefficient of friction to 0 and the ground is perfectly flat, then any force regardless of the strength will eventually move you ten feet. A force like wind, maybe.

How ideal a world are you considering? How much can you do in said world?

cookiemonster

Are you allowed to use a bazooka?

What is the point of this question?

It sounds like they are actually having to do this in the class. Bazooka is no good, there's a human element involved. An inhuman element, anyway. Maybe a big bedsheet and a big fan could work, on a path of waxed paper and with shoes that you spray Tire Black all over. But that might be too elaborate.

Good luck, micron!

Originally posted by cookiemonster
Well, since we got this thread, let's pretend the other one never existed.

If you can reduce the coefficient of friction to 0 and the ground is perfectly flat, then any force regardless of the strength will eventually move you ten feet. A force like wind, maybe.

How ideal a world are you considering? How much can you do in said world?

cookiemonster

I'm a talking about the real world, as we have to actually perform it, If it were just coming up with a hypothetical way of doing it then I would not have had any problem. Because I can think of many ways to do it hypothetically, but I can't think of anythink that would be practical.

Also thanks for your suggestion holly but unfortunately someone thought of using a fan but our teacher said that since fan's have motors...

Okay, now that we're back into the real world, what resources are available to you?

cookiemonster

Okay, one more suggestion and then I'll leave it to the sensible people. What if, on your path of heavily sprayed wax paper and your Tire-Black dripping shoes, you also had some bean bags, with lead shot in them, and they are around your waist in a bag or fanny pack, and you THROW them the opposite way you want to go? Or maybe you could be on a sled and throw them. :smile:
P.S. I lived on Whidbey and moved 2 years ago!

I think that counts as human propulsion, but it is a good idea.

cookiemonster

How about a greased cafeteria tray & a fire extinguisher for propulsion?

Still too messy?:smile:

Maybe you could attach a long hose to the fire extinguisher so it squirts out the window.

Last edited:
Okay, one more: You prof said no HUMAN propulsion. Could it be a trick? Could he want to throw you off the scent? I think you ought to get a nice-sized DOG to pull you on a sled. Either one of mine could pull you, easy. You'll have to have a well-trained one, though.
Just a thought. I dreamt it, dogs pulling people around.

Dig an inclining hole under their feet, instead of a ramp?

Fill the room with water and get yourself to float. Dribble some dishwashing detergent on one side of you thus destroying the surface tension of water on one side. The surface tension on the other side will pull you across the room. IF the teacher says "No," then offer to do a sample demonstration in a fish tank with a little boat made from paper.

By the way, is the only way to "get" this problem by correctly reading the mind of your teacher?

Use a static frame of reference. The rotation of the Earth will get you ten feet pretty quickly.

1. How do you measure ten feet?

Ten feet is equivalent to approximately 3.048 meters or 30.48 centimeters. It can be measured using a ruler, measuring tape, or any other measuring tool that displays feet as a unit of measurement.

2. Can you move ten feet in one step?

No, it is not possible for a human to move ten feet in one step. The average human step length is around 2.5 feet, so it would take at least four steps to cover a distance of ten feet.

3. What are some ways to move ten feet?

There are several ways to move ten feet, including walking, running, crawling, jumping, or using any form of transportation such as a car, bike, or skateboard.

4. How long would it take to move ten feet?

The time it takes to move ten feet varies depending on the method of transportation and the individual's speed. For example, it would take a person walking at a moderate pace approximately 5-7 seconds to cover a distance of ten feet.

5. Is it possible to move ten feet without using your legs?

Yes, it is possible to move ten feet without using your legs by using your arms to crawl, using a wheelchair, or using any other form of assistive device. Additionally, some animals such as snakes and worms do not have legs and can still move a distance of ten feet.