The h in mgh Can you change it?

• Thread starter Mental Gridlock
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Change
In summary, the concept of gravitational potential energy involves considering the change in potential energy relative to a reference point. This reference point can be chosen arbitrarily, and it is the change in energy that is important. In the given scenario, the cat's potential energy changes depending on the reference point chosen. Whether the cat falls from h=10 to h=5 or from h=5 to h=0, the change in potential energy remains the same.
Mental Gridlock
The "h" in mgh.. Can you change it?

Okay I still can't get my head around the idea of gravitational potential energy. I think that having questions answered may help my understanding.

Cats usually always land on their feet, so I'll use one for my example.

1) I hold the cat ten meters off the ground I'm standing on. h is 10 meters, right?

2) I place a boulder beneath the cat, which takes up five meters. The cat is five meters above that. The h for his gravitational potential energy is half, right? He can only fall five meters now? Or is it still ten meters?

3) I put the cat back where he was, ten meters up, but now I dig a hole, straight down into the ground, ten meters deep. If I release the cat he'll fall twenty meters. Did my digging that hole give the cat additional potential energy, without even moving the cat?

I'm probably misunderstanding something. Thank you for any answers and answers may prompt more questions.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
You would be considering the change in potential energy or the potential energy relative to a reference point.

So in the first case, this is 10 m from the surface on which you are standing, so the change in PE is mgΔh = mg(10-0).

In the second case, relative to the ground, the cat is still Δh= 10 m. Relative to the surface of the boulder Δh = 10-5 = 5 so the energy relative to the boulder is halved.

Basically, you need to consider the change in energy.

You are free to set your h=0 line wherever you want. It is only changes in PE that are important here. For your second example the change in PE will be the same if you say that the cat falls from h=10 to h=5 or if you say that it falls from h=5 to h=0. Or you could even have it fall from h=0 to h=-5. All of those will give you the same answer.

What is the "h" in mgh?

The "h" in mgh represents the height or vertical position of an object in relation to a reference point. It is a variable in the equation for potential energy, where m is mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is height.

Is the "h" in mgh a constant?

No, the "h" in mgh is not a constant. It can vary depending on the height of the object in question. The value of "h" will change if the object is raised or lowered in position.

Can the "h" in mgh be negative?

Yes, the "h" in mgh can be negative if the reference point is chosen to be at a higher position than the object. In this case, the potential energy of the object will be negative, indicating that the object has less potential energy at this position compared to the reference point.

Can the "h" in mgh be zero?

Yes, the "h" in mgh can be zero if the object is at the same height as the reference point. In this case, the potential energy of the object will also be zero, indicating that the object has no potential energy at this position.

Can the "h" in mgh be changed?

Yes, the "h" in mgh can be changed by altering the height of the object or by choosing a different reference point. This will result in a change in the potential energy of the object, as potential energy is directly proportional to height.