Center of mass and center of energy

In summary, the idea of a "center of mass" being a strictly conserved quantity in an isolated system may not be entirely accurate. It is actually the "center of energy" that remains fixed, with the concept of a "center of mass" coming from the fact that mass energies are typically much larger than other relevant energy scales. This concept has been discussed in the context of electromagnetic fields, but is not commonly taught.
gravityandlev
center of mass and "center of energy"

Hi everyone,

I recently came across a little thought experiment in a book that seemed to imply that the center of mass of an isolated system is not a strictly conserved quantity. Rather, it is the "center of energy" that remains fixed. The idea of a "center of mass", then, just comes from the fact that mass energies tend to be much larger than other relevant energy scales. I've tried to write up the book's argument clearly here: http://gravityandlevity.wordpress.c...ence-of-mass-and-energy-the-center-of-energy/ I'm not fully convinced there isn't a flaw in the reasoning somewhere.

Maybe this is common knowledge, but I had never heard it before. Is the "center of energy" of a closed system strictly conserved?

Physics news on Phys.org

gravityandlev said:
Maybe this is common knowledge, but I had never heard it before. Is the "center of energy" of a closed system strictly conserved?

Yes, I think so. The motion equations of a closed system describe the energy-momentum exchanges between the constituents. Summed up, the equations give the center of energy coordinate R moving with a constant velocity. See L. Landau, E. Lifschitz, "The Classical Theory of Fields"

Bob.

Thanks, Bob. I'll look it up.

Come to think of it, I have heard of this concept in the context of electromagnetic fields. I guess I just didn't think to apply it to mass energy as well. I wonder why it is not commonly taught?

FAQ: Center of mass and center of energy

What is the center of mass?

The center of mass is the point in an object or system where the mass is evenly distributed, meaning that the object or system will balance perfectly at that point.

How is the center of mass calculated?

The center of mass is calculated by taking the weighted average of the positions of all the individual parts of an object or system. This is done by multiplying the mass of each part by its distance from a chosen reference point, and then dividing the sum of these products by the total mass of the object or system.

What is the significance of the center of mass?

The center of mass is significant because it is the point at which an object or system will balance and rotate around. It is also an important concept in physics and engineering, as it helps determine the stability, motion, and energy of an object or system.

What is the difference between center of mass and center of energy?

The center of mass and center of energy are often used interchangeably, but they are not the same thing. The center of mass refers to the point where the mass of an object or system is evenly distributed, while the center of energy refers to the point where the total energy of an object or system is concentrated.

Can the center of mass and center of energy be in different locations?

Yes, the center of mass and center of energy can be in different locations. This is because the distribution of mass and energy in an object or system may not be uniform. However, the two points are often close to each other and may even coincide in some cases.