Dirac's Principles of Quantum Mechanics

In summary, "Dirac's Principles of Quantum Mechanics" is considered by some to be the best physics book since the Principia, while others prefer David Bohm's quantum theory. Bohm's book assumes prior knowledge of classical mechanics, calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra, but offers a thorough explanation of how quantum mechanics experiments were conducted and developed. Dirac's book, on the other hand, gives insight into quantum in only 300 pages and does not assume much from the reader's physics background. Some believe that Shanker's book is similar to Dirac's but with a more modern perspective. Others argue that older physics books become irrelevant over time, but some still find value in Dirac's writing. Ultimately, it is

Is Dirac's "Principles of Quantum Mechanics" the best quantum book?

• Yes

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 60.0%

• Total voters
Geremia
Dirac's "Principles of Quantum Mechanics"

Is Dirac's http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/10194741" the best physics book since the Principia? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

The The Principia is horrible! I am sure Dirac's book had some merit at the time, but that was before Shanker cane out.

Definetely not. I put my money on David bohm's quantum theory

I have the quantum theory by bohm. I used it last year along with griffiths while taking my first intro QM course. Bohm expects you to know classical mechanics and E&M. In fact, he used E&M in the first chapter actually. So I think its better to stick with Griffiths or Shankar for an comprehensive introduction to QM. Especially if you are not familiar in basic E&M. But then the Bohm book is so cheap that you can't really beat it. (Reason I bought it in the first place heheh)

Just a little context: I read Griffiths when I first learned quantum and Mertzbacher and Cohn-Tannoudji as a more advanced text. I really liked Cohn-Tannoudji as a textbook. Now that I know quantum at the intermediate level, Dirac's Principles is very good; the first chapter alone is worth the price of the book, but everything else—from his introduction of the Dirac δ function all the way to his derivation of the Dirac equation—is very concisely and beautifully written. I wanted to start this thread to figure out why there seems to be so many adverse reactions to Dirac's Principles.

noblegas said:
Definetely not. I put my money on David bohm's quantum theory
I have heard that one is good, too. Is it suited for those who already have some quantum experience?

Geremia said:
I have heard that one is good, too. Is it suited for those who already have some quantum experience?

He just assumes that the reader should know: classical mechanics, calculus and differential equations and the basics of linear algebra. I don't even think the book requires to have prior knowledge of modern physics, the book is so self-contained .What I like best about Bohm's book is that he explains why the laws of classical mechanics in the area of the universe and why scientists must developed an entirely new set of laws to explain the strange new physical phenomena occurring at the subatomic realm. He also goes into detain of how the quantum mechanics experiments where conducted and developed. Whereas QM books written by Peebles fail to present a mindset for the student to transition from a CM mindset to a QM mindset, and expects us just to easily accept that a schrodinger's equation is apt at explaining subatomic phenomena better than Newton's laws of motion without an explanation why the former is superior to the latter.

noblegas said:
He just assumes that the reader should know: classical mechanics, calculus and differential equations and the basics of linear algebra. I don't even think the book requires to have prior knowledge of modern physics, the book is so self-contained .What I like best about Bohm's book is that he explains why the laws of classical mechanics in the area of the universe and why scientists must developed an entirely new set of laws to explain the strange new physical phenomena occurring at the subatomic realm. He also goes into detain of how the quantum mechanics experiments where conducted and developed. Whereas QM books written by Peebles fail to present a mindset for the student to transition from a CM mindset to a QM mindset, and expects us just to easily accept that a schrodinger's equation is apt at explaining subatomic phenomena better than Newton's laws of motion without an explanation why the former is superior to the latter.

I still think Dirac's Principles is probably better; it was written ~20 years before Bohm, is more significant historically, and gives so much insight into quantum in only ~300 pages, half of Bohm's book. Dirac doesn't assume much from the reader's physics background, either.

Geremia said:
I still think Dirac's Principles is probably better; it was written ~20 years before Bohm, is more significant historically, and gives so much insight into quantum in only ~300 pages, half of Bohm's book. Dirac doesn't assume much from the reader's physics background, either.

Physics books are not philosophy or other classical literature. The older a physics book is, the more irrelevant it gets. There are some exceptions, but Dirac is not one of them. Shanker is similar to Dirac, but has a more modern insight.

Pinu7 said:
Physics books are not philosophy or other classical literature. The older a physics book is, the more irrelevant it gets.
I disagree.

I think the poll results are skewed by the fact that some responders mention first level books that don't come close to Dirac. I think Griffith's (Ask him.) and Bohm would acknowledge that Dirac is better, but they have tried to dumb it down it for undergraduates.

clem said:
I think the poll results are skewed by the fact that some responders mention first level books that don't come close to Dirac. I think Griffith's (Ask him.) and Bohm would acknowledge that Dirac is better, but they have tried to dumb it down it for undergraduates.
That is for sure.

I am currently reading Principles (along with Griffith's book) to teach myself quantum mechanics (after hilariously oversubscribing myself and being forced to drop the quantum mechanics section I was taking this semester), and have found it quite a neat book so far. The writing is much better than the textbook we were using in class, and I find it rather interesting to see him slowly developing the bra-ket notation and his delta function. Some of the results are quite presaging; for example, when he showed that in general a complete set of eigenkets could be expressed as a sum of discrete eigenkets and an integral over a continuous range, it was obvious that that would later show up in the quantization of electron energy levels, and the continuous electron spectrum outside of atoms.

I can't really compare it to Griffith's or Bohm's because I haven't looked at the former yet and wasn't solid enough on the right kind of math to follow the latter completely. I'd say it's quite a good book and immensely better than the text we were using in class, Gasiorowicz, though.

1. What are Dirac's Principles of Quantum Mechanics?

Dirac's Principles of Quantum Mechanics are a set of fundamental principles and equations developed by physicist Paul Dirac in the early 20th century. These principles form the basis of our understanding of quantum mechanics, which describes the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.

2. What is the significance of Dirac's Principles of Quantum Mechanics?

Dirac's Principles of Quantum Mechanics revolutionized our understanding of the physical world and paved the way for many important developments in physics, including the creation of the Standard Model and the discovery of new particles. They also helped to bridge the gap between classical mechanics and quantum mechanics.

3. How do Dirac's Principles of Quantum Mechanics differ from other principles of quantum mechanics?

Dirac's Principles of Quantum Mechanics are distinct in that they are based on the concept of wave-particle duality, which describes how particles can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior. They also include Dirac's famous equation, which combines quantum mechanics and special relativity.

4. How do Dirac's Principles of Quantum Mechanics explain the behavior of particles?

Dirac's Principles of Quantum Mechanics explain particle behavior through a mathematical framework that includes wave functions, operators, and observables. These principles also incorporate the uncertainty principle, which states that the position and momentum of a particle cannot be known simultaneously with complete precision.

5. Are Dirac's Principles of Quantum Mechanics still relevant today?

Yes, Dirac's Principles of Quantum Mechanics are still highly relevant in modern physics and are used to make predictions about the behavior of particles at the quantum level. They have also been expanded upon and refined by other physicists, but remain a crucial foundation for our understanding of the quantum world.