Can Nitric Acid's pH be Increased to pH 10 with Water?

• Thread starter Howlin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acid Ph
In summary, the individual has researched changing the pH of an acid and received conflicting information. They want to increase the pH of Nitric Acid from 3 to 10 by adding deionized water, but have found conflicting sources on whether this is possible. It is not possible to raise the pH above 7 by adding neutral water to nitric acid.
Howlin
Hi

I have done some research into changing the pH of an acid and I have gotten mixed answers

I have Nitric Acid of pH3 and I want to increase it to approximatly pH10. I have deionized water and want to add it to the Nitric Acid until its pH is approximatly 10.

I have come across different pages which says it can be done, while other pages says it can't be done.

Is there anyone out there that can answer this as I am really confused.

Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You can add base to change solution pH, but it will be no longer nitric acid.

Neutral water is pH 7. Adding that to nitric acid of any concentration will never raise it above that pH.

What is pH?

pH is a measure of the acidity or basicity of a solution. It is determined by the concentration of hydrogen ions present in the solution.

How does nitric acid affect pH?

Nitric acid is a strong acid and can significantly lower the pH of a solution. When added to water, it dissociates into hydrogen ions and nitrate ions, increasing the concentration of hydrogen ions and making the solution more acidic.

What is the difference between changing the pH of nitric acid and other acids?

Nitric acid is a strong acid, meaning it completely dissociates in water. This results in a rapid and significant change in pH compared to weaker acids, which only partially dissociate.

How can I change the pH of nitric acid?

The pH of nitric acid can be changed by adding other substances to the solution. Adding a base, such as sodium hydroxide, can neutralize the acidity and increase the pH. Alternatively, adding more water can dilute the nitric acid and decrease the concentration of hydrogen ions, resulting in a higher pH.

What are the applications of changing the pH of nitric acid?

Changing the pH of nitric acid is important in many industrial and scientific processes. It is used in the production of fertilizers, dyes, and explosives. It is also used in laboratory experiments to adjust the pH of solutions for certain reactions.