Do it Yourself Differential GPS

In summary, the speaker is working on a robotics project and believes that differential GPS would be a good fit for their needs. They are interested in the u-blox LEA-6T GPS receiver but are open to other suggestions. They are unsure about the cost of pseudorange-outputting units and their necessity for both the base station and rover. They are also seeking recommendations and have come across a potentially helpful website.
murrdpirate0
I'm working on a robotics project that I believe could greatly benefit from the use of differential GPS. The robot will be navigating within a known 100m by 100m area and will need to have a positional accuracy of about 25cm. These two things lead me to believe that DGPS is a good fit.

I know that with DGPS, I need a receiver that let's me see the pseudoranges to the visible satellites. These receivers tend to be expensive, but I'm not sure why. I was looking at the u-blox LEA-6T as a potential candidate, but I'm definitely open to other suggestions.

Will I need pseudorange-outputting units for both the base station and rover, or just the base station? If I at least know which satellites the rover unit is calculating its position with, then that should be enough, right? Is knowing that information available in cheaper units?

As you might guess, I'm pretty much just starting my research on this, and I'd appreciate any thoughts and recommendations. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't have the experience that could help u, though I am also interested to get a GPS receiver that could let me do something interesting sometime in the future. I saw this website, not sure if this is useful to you:

http://home-2.worldonline.nl/samsvl/oemtable.htm

I encountered that website myself while trying to find suitable GPS units. It appears that it's a bit old and the models are no longer available, but there might be similar, next generation, versions of some of them.

1)

What is Differential GPS and how does it work?

Differential GPS (DGPS) is a technique used to improve the accuracy of GPS positioning. It works by comparing the signals from a stationary GPS receiver with those from a moving receiver. The difference between the two signals is used to correct for any errors in the GPS system, resulting in more precise location data.

2)

What equipment is needed for a DIY Differential GPS system?

To set up a DIY Differential GPS system, you will need two GPS receivers, one stationary and one mobile, as well as a way to transmit data between them. You can use a radio link or a cellular network for this transmission. You will also need a computer to collect and process the data from the receivers.

3)

Can I use any GPS receiver for Differential GPS?

No, not all GPS receivers are capable of performing differential correction. You will need to make sure that the receiver you choose is capable of receiving and processing the correction data from the stationary receiver. This information can usually be found in the receiver's specifications or user manual.

4)

Is it difficult to set up a DIY Differential GPS system?

The level of difficulty will depend on your technical skills and the equipment you have available. If you have some experience with electronics and programming, it may be relatively easy for you to set up. However, if you are new to this type of project, it may require some research and troubleshooting to get it working properly.

5)

What are the benefits of using a DIY Differential GPS system?

DIY Differential GPS systems can provide more accurate positioning data compared to standalone GPS receivers. This can be useful for applications such as surveying, precision agriculture, and navigation. Additionally, building your own system can be a cost-effective option compared to purchasing a commercial DGPS system.