Extension for a Golf Range Finder

• Misc.
  • Thread starter polocouch
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Golf Range
polocouch
TL;DR Summary
Hi guys, I have a golf range finder, I want to add a tube to the eye Port of said range finder and be able to view what I can view while my eye is directly against said port. Can anyone help me out here ? How is this possible?
image.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

So you want to be able to see the same display when your eye is a few cm away from the device? Can you say why? Have you tried holding your cellphone camera lens in the exit pupil of that device yet? You may be able to just make a simple holder for your phone to be able to see it on your phone display

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exit_pupil...

Last edited:
Likes Tom.G and Lnewqban
In the world of geometrical optics, this is called "eye relief". If you exceed that distance you will have to build a telescope, not just a tube.

Likes berkeman
berkeman said:
Welcome to PF.

So you want to be able to see the same display when your eye is a few cm away from the device? Can you say why? Have you tried holding your cellphone camera lens in the exit pupil of that device yet? You may be able to just make a simple holder for your phone to be able to see it on your phone display

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exit_pupil...
I want to make the range finder seem much larger than it is, like a gag but I need the ability to see it through a longer tube. Not a truly functional reason

DaveE said:
In the world of geometrical optics, this is called "eye relief". If you exceed that distance you will have to build a telescope, not just a tube.
Thank you, I understand it can’t just be a tube I know there has to be a way to do it thanks that’s why I’m asking

Likes DaveE
Two lenses inside that tube:
One to grab the rangefinder image and send parallel rays down the tube.
One to refocus those parallel rays to form a viewable image.

If the first lens has a long focal length and the second lense a short focal length, you have a telescope (or microscope, depending on their spacing).

Equal focal lengths give you an image relay system, keeping the image the same size.

(OK, been decades since I've done this stuff so corrections are encouraged!)

Cheers,
Tom

Last edited:
Tom.G said:
One to grab the rangefinder image and send parallel rays down the tube.
One to refocus those parallel rays to form a viewable image.
Nope. Parallel into means parallel out of a telescope, but not in the middle*. It's kind of the definition of these things.

1703233782318.png

Figure 3.15 (a) A Galilean telescope. (b) A Keplerian telescope.

https://www.routledgehandbooks.com/doi/10.1201/9781315373034-4

*although I suppose you could call a tube with no lenses a telescope with magnification of 1 and parallel rays everywhere.

Last edited:

What is an extension for a golf range finder?

An extension for a golf range finder typically refers to additional features or software that enhance the basic functionality of a golf range finder. These extensions can include improved GPS accuracy, additional course maps, club suggestion features, or analysis tools that help golfers understand their performance and improve their game.

How can an extension improve my golf range finder?

Extensions can improve a golf range finder by providing more detailed and accurate information about distances, course layout, and obstacles. They can also offer insights into wind conditions, elevation changes, and even recommend the best club based on past performance. This additional information can help golfers make more informed decisions and potentially lower their scores.

Are there specific extensions for different brands of golf range finders?

Yes, extensions are often specific to particular brands or models of golf range finders. Manufacturers typically develop proprietary software or apps that are compatible only with their devices. It's important to check compatibility with your specific range finder model before purchasing or downloading an extension.

Can I install these extensions myself, or do I need professional help?

Most extensions designed for golf range finders are user-friendly and can be installed by the golfers themselves. These might come in the form of apps or software updates that can be directly downloaded to the device or via a connected smartphone. However, for hardware modifications or more complex installations, professional help might be beneficial.

Are there any free extensions available for golf range finders, or do they all cost money?

There are both free and paid extensions available for golf range finders. Free extensions might offer basic features or limited access to certain tools, while paid versions typically provide more comprehensive features and access to extensive data. It's important to research and compare options to find the best fit for your needs and budget.