Finding Cross Section Data for Tungsten, Rhenium, Osmium & Iridium

In summary: The website is easy to use and has data for all the nuclides you have requested. However, you will need to purchase a membership to access the data.
zephramcochran
Hi,

I'm doing a project to see the feasibility of transmuting tungsten into platinum on a small scale (maximum output of 1 kg per month). However, some of the cross section data that I need seems to be hard to find. Now because I am new to this, I don't know if its because no body has measured the data or because I simply am looking in the wrong place.

The data that I need are the thermal neutron capture cross sections for the following nuclides
(The radioactive ones have # signs):

Tungsten-186
Tungsten-187#
Rhenium-187#
Rhenium-188#
Osmium-188
Osmium-189
Osmium-190
Iridium-191
Iridium-192#

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get the data?

Engineering news on Phys.org
ENDF Cross sections can be found on this site: http://www.nndc.bnl.gov/

It looks like the W-186->Re-187 and Re-187->Os-188 reactions are feasible with thermal cross sections in the hundreds of barns. However there is no neutron cross section data for Os in ENDF. Googling around I found a few astrophysics papers regarding Os neutron cross sections but I don't have memberships to download them.

Os-188 through Os-190 are stable so you would need several captures to get to Os-191 to make Ir-191. Then you need one more capture to get Pt-192.

Before you go further, you might want to do some back-of-the-envelope calculations to see what kind of neutron fluxes you will need to achieve macroscopic production rates. You need so many successive captures with only modest cross sections that it will not be possible to do this in an economically advantageous way. Neutrons are not free.

Last edited:
Hi there

Try this website for plotting and retrieving nuclear data http://jshimwell.com/ it is really easy to use

It has ENDF data (QuantumPion is correct ENDF does not currently contain Os data) like most other sites

The website also has other evaluations like EAF JEFF JENDL TALYS which do contain Os data. Experimental EXFOR data can also be added.

ShimPlotWell contains all the isotopes you have requested

The data can also be downloaded in text format.

What is the importance of finding cross section data for tungsten, rhenium, osmium, and iridium?

Finding cross section data for these elements is important for understanding their nuclear properties and reactions. This information is crucial in many applications, such as nuclear energy, materials science, and medical research.

How is cross section data typically measured for these elements?

Cross section data is measured through experiments using particle accelerators and detectors. The particles are directed at the target element and the resulting interactions are measured and analyzed to determine the cross section.

What are the challenges in obtaining accurate cross section data for these elements?

One challenge is the limited availability of these elements, as they are rare and difficult to obtain. Additionally, the experiments must be carefully designed and controlled to reduce errors and uncertainties in the data.

What are the common uses of cross section data for tungsten, rhenium, osmium, and iridium?

Cross section data for these elements is used in nuclear reactor design and fuel development, as well as in medical treatments such as radiation therapy. It is also important in understanding the behavior of these elements in extreme environments, such as in outer space or within the Earth's core.

Where can I find reliable cross section data for these elements?

The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) maintains a database of nuclear data, including cross section data, for these elements and many others. Other reliable sources include scientific journals and research institutions specializing in nuclear physics and materials science.