Capture Cross Section for a Neutron

In summary, DT fusion produces 14.1 MeV neutrons, which can be used for diagnostics in total fusion yield measurements. One such diagnostic is the Cu-63(n, 2n)Cu-62 reaction, which has a threshold energy of 402.66 eV. This reaction also produces an excited state in Cu-64 with a thermal cross section of 4.5b. To determine the capture cross section for a neutron with an energy of 75 eV, additional equations and data are needed. The number of collisions required to slow a 14.1 MeV neutron down to the (n, 2n) reaction threshold and to thermal energy can also be calculated using equations and data. Additionally,
nateja

Homework Statement

DT fusion produces 14.1 MeV neutrons. A diagnostic for a total fusion yield is the Cu-63(
n, 2n)Cu-62 reaction. A) what is the threshold for this reaction? Cu-63 also undergoes a radiative capture reaction yielding Cu-64. This reaction has a thermal cross section of 4.5b and the first resonance occurs for neautron energies of 402.66 eV. B) What is the capture cross section for a neutron having an energy of 75 eV? C) what is the excited state enrgy corresponding to the first resonance and in what nuclide is this excited state? The copper sample to be activated is often around concrete. ASSUME that concrete can be treated as an element with a mass number, A, of 24. D) How many collisions will be required on the average to slow a neutron down from 14.1 MeV to the (n, 2n) reaction theshold? How many to slow it down to thermal energy? E) If the copper sample is placed between the fusion neutron source and the conrete wall, what is the maximum energy that a neutron having an initial enrgy of 14.1 MeV can have if it scatters from the concrete back into the copper?

Homework Equations

I'm just going to name off equations I have available to me, but I'm just entirely lost on part B. I am using Introduction to Nuclear Engineering - Lamarsh (3rd ed). And we have gotten up to Chapter 3.7)

Breit-Wigner Formula (pretty sure you don't use this... too many variables and I can't just create a system of equations or anything.)

Ʃ = δ*N (macroscopic cross section = microscopic * Number density)

I = N*v ('intensity' = number density * velocity)

λ = 1/Ʃ (mean-free path = 1/macroscopic)

δ_γ(E) = δ(E_0)/sqrt(E_0/E)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to use the last equation for part B but maybe I didn't use the right values I used 4.5b for δ(E_0), .0253 eV for E_0, and 75 ev for E.

If you could point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You will need some more equations to work out the number of scatters required
Try this book by the DOE http://energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2013/06/f2/h1019v1.pdf
It has a section on neutron moderation (page 23) and gives you the scattering equations you will need

Are you allowed to use cross section data to work this out or must it be done with equations
You can look up nuclear data and neutron cross sections here www.cross-section-plotter.com

Related to Capture Cross Section for a Neutron

1. What is a capture cross section for a neutron?

A capture cross section for a neutron is a measure of the likelihood that a neutron will be absorbed by a nucleus when it interacts with it. It is typically represented by the symbol σc and is measured in units of barns (1 barn = 10-24 cm2).

2. How is the capture cross section for a neutron determined?

The capture cross section for a neutron can be determined experimentally by measuring the number of neutrons absorbed by a target nucleus over a given time period, and then calculating the ratio of this number to the total number of neutrons in the incident beam. The value can also be calculated theoretically using nuclear models and data on the properties of the target nucleus.

3. What factors affect the capture cross section for a neutron?

The capture cross section for a neutron is affected by several factors, including the energy of the incident neutron, the mass and atomic number of the target nucleus, and the spin of both the neutron and the target nucleus. It can also be influenced by the presence of other particles or fields, such as electric or magnetic fields.

4. Why is the capture cross section for a neutron an important parameter in nuclear physics?

The capture cross section for a neutron is an important parameter in nuclear physics because it helps us understand the behavior and interactions of neutrons with nuclei. It is used in various applications, including nuclear reactor design, nuclear medicine, and nuclear astrophysics.

5. How does the capture cross section for a neutron differ from other types of cross sections?

The capture cross section for a neutron is a specific type of cross section that describes the probability of a neutron being absorbed by a nucleus. Other types of cross sections include scattering cross sections, which describe the probability of a neutron being deflected by a nucleus, and reaction cross sections, which describe the probability of a particular nuclear reaction occurring. However, all types of cross sections are related and can be used to understand different aspects of nuclear interactions.