Extracting thermal neutron cross-sections from ENDF libraries?

In summary, Astronuc found a way to extract thermal neutron cross-section data from ENDF/B tapes. He believes the codes may have ended up at a National Lab.
Hologram0110
Hi Everyone,
Does anyone know of a tool that can extract thermal neutron cross-section data from endf for all availible isotopes? I'm trying to help my professor compile some data to modernize one of his courses. I'm trying to find a list of capture and scattering cross-sections for a wide list of isotopes. I've found the databases online (here and here) but short of manually looking up every isotope and recording the cross-sections I don't see a way to extract the data.

Anyone have any ideas? Doing it manually seems like it would likely result in mistakes.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hologram0110 said:
Hi Everyone,
Does anyone know of a tool that can extract thermal neutron cross-section data from endf for all availible isotopes? I'm trying to help my professor compile some data to modernize one of his courses. I'm trying to find a list of capture and scattering cross-sections for a wide list of isotopes. I've found the databases online (here and here) but short of manually looking up every isotope and recording the cross-sections I don't see a way to extract the data.

Anyone have any ideas? Doing it manually seems like it would likely result in mistakes.

Many years ago I was head of a group which developed codes for neutron transport. As part of the program we developed codes which extracted cross-sections from ENDF/B tapes and massaged them for our codes. I believe the codes eventually ended up in the archive of one of the National Labs (Brookhaven ?). Try contacting them.

Thanks Astronuc! That is exactly the sort of program I was looking for. I knew there had to be one out there.

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out and asking about a tool for extracting thermal neutron cross-section data from ENDF libraries. I understand the importance of accurate and efficient data compilation for research and teaching purposes.

There are several tools available that can assist with extracting thermal neutron cross-section data from ENDF libraries. One such tool is the NJOY nuclear data processing system, which allows for the retrieval and processing of data from various nuclear data libraries, including ENDF. Other tools that may be useful for this purpose include the ENDF-6 format converter and the ENDF to ACE converter.

Additionally, there are several online databases and resources that provide access to ENDF data in a more user-friendly format, such as the National Nuclear Data Center's Nuclear Data Retrieval System and the International Atomic Energy Agency's Nuclear Data Services. These databases allow for searching and downloading of specific cross-section data for a wide range of isotopes.

I understand the concern of manually looking up and recording cross-section data for a large number of isotopes. However, it is important to note that the accuracy and reliability of the data is crucial for its use in research and education. Therefore, it may be beneficial to double-check the data obtained from these tools and databases to ensure its accuracy.

I hope this information helps and wish you success in your endeavor to modernize your professor's course. Best of luck!

1. What is the purpose of extracting thermal neutron cross-sections from ENDF libraries?

The purpose of extracting thermal neutron cross-sections from ENDF libraries is to obtain valuable data on the interactions between neutrons and materials at low energies. This information is crucial for various applications in nuclear engineering, such as designing nuclear reactors and developing new nuclear materials.

2. What is the ENDF library and how is it used to extract thermal neutron cross-sections?

The ENDF (Evaluated Nuclear Data File) library is a standardized format for storing and exchanging nuclear data, including cross-sections. It contains evaluated nuclear data for various nuclides and reaction types. To extract thermal neutron cross-sections, the ENDF library is accessed and specific data tables are searched for the desired information.

3. What are the challenges involved in extracting thermal neutron cross-sections from ENDF libraries?

One of the main challenges is the large amount of data in the ENDF library, which can make it difficult to locate and extract the specific cross-sections needed. Another challenge is the need for accurate and consistent data, as errors or discrepancies in the data can greatly affect the results of calculations and simulations.

4. What techniques are commonly used to extract thermal neutron cross-sections from ENDF libraries?

There are several techniques used for extracting thermal neutron cross-sections from ENDF libraries, such as interpolating between data points, fitting mathematical functions to the data, and using Monte Carlo simulations to generate cross-sections. Each technique has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice of method depends on the specific needs of the application.

5. How are extracted thermal neutron cross-sections validated and verified?

To ensure the accuracy and reliability of the extracted thermal neutron cross-sections, they are typically validated and verified through comparison with experimental data. This involves performing calculations using the extracted cross-sections and comparing them to experimental results. If the calculated values closely match the experimental data, it provides confidence in the accuracy of the extracted cross-sections.