Data Logging for Voltmeters: How to Save and Read Data Using an Arduino

In summary, to achieve the goal of saving data from the voltmeter over time with a ± 10Hz sampling rate, one can use the Arduino's built-in ADC or a higher resolution external converter if needed. An input attenuator may also be necessary for voltage ranges greater than 0 to 5V.
johnnyhassle
Attaching a data logging system to a voltmeter:

Produino ST Master Chip 0.56" LED DC 3-Digital Display Digital Voltmeter- Black (DC 0~100V)

Goal: I want to save the data from the voltmeter over time with a ± 10Hz sampling rate, logging this on a SD card or UBS stick, making it able to read the data on a PC.

Question: In what possible ways can I achieve this? Can I possibly use the arduino for this?

Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
Apart from the visible display, there appears to be no digital data output from that product.

What voltage range do you need to record? What voltage resolution do you require?

It might be possible to use the Arduino's built in Analogue to Digital Converter.
google ' Arduino ADC '.

If you need more than 10 bit resolution, (about 0.1%), you may need to find a higher resolution external converter for the Arduino.

If you need a voltage range greater than 0 to 5V you may need to make an input attenuator using two resistors.

1. What is data logging for voltmeters?

Data logging for voltmeters is the process of recording and storing data from a voltmeter over a period of time. This allows for analysis and monitoring of voltage levels, and can be useful in various scientific and industrial applications.

2. How do I set up data logging for my voltmeter using an Arduino?

To set up data logging for your voltmeter using an Arduino, you will need to connect the voltmeter to the Arduino using appropriate wiring and use the Arduino code to read and log the data. There are various tutorials and resources available online that can guide you through this process.

3. What are the benefits of using an Arduino for data logging?

Arduinos are a popular and affordable microcontroller platform that can be easily programmed to read and store data from various sensors, including voltmeters. They also have a wide range of compatible modules and shields that can enhance the functionality of your data logging project.

4. How can I read and analyze the data collected from my voltmeter?

Once the data has been logged and stored, you can transfer it to a computer and use various software programs, such as Excel or MATLAB, to read and analyze the data. You can also use the serial monitor in the Arduino IDE to view the data in real-time.

5. Are there any limitations to data logging for voltmeters using an Arduino?

One limitation of using an Arduino for data logging is the limited amount of memory available for storing data. This means that for long-term data logging, you may need to transfer the data to a computer or external storage device periodically. Additionally, the accuracy and precision of the data may be affected by the quality of the voltmeter and the stability of the power source.