How Can I Record a Raw Analog Signal with an Arduino Using a Circuit Board?

In summary, the conversation is about a system that displays the difference between two signals on a digital display. The person is looking for a way to store the data, possibly using an Arduino and an Analog-Digital Converter (ADC). They are seeking circuit board recommendations and discussing the voltage range and input source of the signals. The recommended solution is to use an ADC and there are resources available for using an Arduino for this purpose.
Tone L
Greetings. I have a system that is powered by 5V . You will see below in the image. The system displays the difference between the Hi and Lo signal digitally, on the display which the board is plugged into. However. I want to store the data maybe in a SD card? Using Arduino? How do I harness the Hi Lo signal?

I am looking for circuit board recommendations i think.
upload_2018-10-17_9-53-34.png

upload_2018-10-17_9-53-49.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-17_9-51-8.png
    upload_2018-10-17_9-51-8.png
    14.9 KB · Views: 433
  • upload_2018-10-17_9-53-34.png
    upload_2018-10-17_9-53-34.png
    14.9 KB · Views: 678
  • upload_2018-10-17_9-53-49.png
    upload_2018-10-17_9-53-49.png
    15 KB · Views: 592
Engineering news on Phys.org
You probably want an Analog-Digital Converter(ADC) that will convert the analog signal to digital at some fixed time interval. Then you can store the digital data as you would any other digital data.

Likes osilmag, Asymptotic and davenn
What is the voltage range of the two input signals? And what is the input source?

If the input voltage is less or equal to 5V you could use the built-in ADC in an Arduino or similar. How much circuitry you need in front of the ADC pins on the Arduino depends on the source of yhe hi/lo sigal.

Likes Tone L
What you want (I think) is a data logger. LabJack makes some nice ones that are in the ~$300 - $500 range. I use the U6 Pro because it has a nice instrumentation amplifier and variable ADC resolution. Works +/-10V down to micro volts. Small USB powered unit. Plenty of digital IO timers etc.

Likes Tone L
Lord Crc said:
What is the voltage range of the two input signals? And what is the input source?

If the input voltage is less or equal to 5V you could use the built-in ADC in an Arduino or similar. How much circuitry you need in front of the ADC pins on the Arduino depends on the source of yhe hi/lo sigal.

Thanks! The voltage range of the two input signals is 0-2V. The input source is 5V I think, what exactly do you mean by this? Sorry :D

1. What is a raw analog signal?

A raw analog signal refers to an electrical signal that is continuous and varies in amplitude over time. This type of signal is typically generated by physical phenomena, such as sound waves or temperature changes, and is often measured using devices such as microphones or thermometers.

2. Why is it important to record a raw analog signal?

Recording a raw analog signal allows for accurate and detailed measurements of real-world phenomena. It also provides a basis for further analysis and processing, such as filtering or conversion to digital format.

3. What equipment is needed to record a raw analog signal?

The equipment needed to record a raw analog signal includes a transducer, which converts the physical signal into an electrical signal, and a recording device, such as a data acquisition system or analog tape recorder. Other equipment, such as amplifiers and filters, may also be necessary depending on the specific signal being recorded.

4. How is a raw analog signal recorded?

A raw analog signal is typically recorded by connecting the transducer to the recording device using cables. The recording device then converts the analog signal into a digital format, which can be stored and analyzed using a computer or other digital equipment.

5. What are some common challenges when recording a raw analog signal?

Some common challenges when recording a raw analog signal include signal interference, noise, and signal degradation over long distances. Proper grounding and shielding techniques can help minimize these challenges, as well as using high-quality equipment and careful signal routing.